Cranberry Salad with JELLO and Pineapple
Nov 18, 2021, Updated Nov 13, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Cranberry JELLO salad recipe is a great side dish to have on your next holiday table. Made with raspberry JELL-O, pineapple, cranberry sauce and topped with a delicious creamy layer.
The Best Cranberry Salad with JELLO
JELLO salads are a classic, holiday favorite you might remember from your Grandma’s house. It’s often served as a side dish but could also be a delicious dessert.
Here is what you will learn in this post:
- The ingredients you will need to make this cranberry salad recipe.
- Instructions for making this tasty side dish.
- Tips for getting a smooth, creamy topping and recipe variations of the salad.
Cranberry Salad with Cream Cheese ingredients
This easy cranberry JELLO recipe needs just a few simple ingredients. Scroll to the bottom for the full list and directions.
- JELL-O – I use raspberry gelatin but feel free to use cranberry or cherry flavored gelatin.
- Cranberry sauce – Use canned, whole berry cranberry sauce. You can substitute with the jellied cranberry sauce but the whole berry adds to the texture.
- Crushed pineapple – Use the whole can of crushed pineapple, including the pineapple juice. It adds a wonderful sweet taste and texture to the salad.
- Cream cheese – The tangy cream cheese pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the JELLO. Make sure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature.
- Cool Whip – You can use full fat or light Cool Whip.
- Sugar – Sugar is used to sweeten the JELLO topping.
Variations for Cranberry JELLO Salad
- Nuts – If you would like to add a bit of crunch, sprinkle on chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Fruit – Feel free to add extra fruit like mandarin oranges or diced apples.
- Flavor – This recipe uses raspberry jello but you can use cherry, cranberry, strawberry, or even orange jello.
How to make cranberry JELLO salad with cream cheese topping
No need for a gelatin mold, this can be made in a 9 x 9-inch dish or a 9 x 13-inch dish. The square dish will make for a thicker salad. If you prefer yours a little thinner, use the 9 x 13 dish.
Step one: Pour JELLO powder into a large bowl. Stir in boiling water. Stir until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add in cold water and stir.
Step two: Mix in crushed pineapple and the can of cranberry sauce. Lightly spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour in JELLO mixture.
Step three: Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. I recommend letting is chill overnight.
Step four: Make the cream cheese topping. To make this creamy topping, mix together cream cheese and sugar in an electric mixer until creamy. Stir in the Cool Whip.
Step five: Spread cream cheese topping over the JELLO layer. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Tips for Jello Salad with Cream Cheese
- Place the plastic wrap right on top of the JELLO mixture when covering. This helps to keep out any refrigerator smells.
- If you would like to use a JELLO mold, this recipe works for a 6 cup mold.
- Don’t use fresh pineapple because there is an enzyme in fresh pineapple that will prevent the gelatin from setting up.
- If the cream cheese in the topping gets lumpy, microwave the mixture for about 10 seconds. Use a whisk or spoon and stir until lumps are gone.
- I recommend making this at least 1-2 days in advance of serving it. That will give it enough time to set up.
How to store Cranberry Salad with JELLO and Pineapple
How long does JELLO Salad with Cream Cheese last in the refrigerator?
This cranberry salad will last about 5 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store any leftovers in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze Cranberry Salad with Jello and Pineapple?
I would not recommend freezing because the texture will change and not hold up once it’s thawed.
FAQs for Cranberry Salad with JELLO and Pineapple
Adding too much water or not chilling for long enough can cause the salad to get watery.
Cranberry salad is made with JELL-O, whole berry cranberry sauce, crushed pineapple, creamy cheese, Cool-Whip, and sugar.
Love cranberries? Be sure to check out these other cranberry recipes:
More holiday side dish recipes
Jello Salad with Cream Cheese
- 2 3 oz raspberry JELL-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1 14 oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 16 oz Cool Whip
- Place JELL-O in large bowl. Pour in boiling water. Whisk for about 2 minutes then whisk in the cold water.
- Pour in the whole can, including juice, of crushed pineapple. Stir in can of whole cranberry sauce. Stir to combine.
- Lightly spray either a 9 x 9-inch or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Carefully pour mixture into baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 5-6 hours.
Cream cheese topping
- Using an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and sugar until creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in Cool Whip. (If cream cheese becomes lumpy, microwave the mixture for 10 seconds and then whisk until lumps are gone.)
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over jello salad. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.