Old Fashioned Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Feb 04, 2019, Updated Aug 24, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Slow cooker beef stew is hearty, warm, and the ultimate comfort food. Beef, potatoes, and veggies are slow cooked in a savory beef broth to make a mouthwatering meal.
The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Slow cooker beef stew is one of our go-to meals when the temperature gets low outside. There is something so comforting about cozying up with a big bowl of this hearty stew.
This slow cooker beef stew recipe needs just a few simple ingredients.
- Stew meat – I typically grab a pack of packaged cubed beef stew meat. You can also buy beef chuck roast and cut it into small pieces.
- Flour – All purpose flour is used.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is needed for this recipe.
- Potatoes – I like using small golden potatoes. You can also cut russet potatoes into chunks or small red potatoes.
- Celery – Cut into small pieces.
- Carrots – Peel and cut carrots into smaller chunks.
- Mushrooms – You can use white or cremini mushrooms.
- Onions – Sliced white or sweet onions work well.
- Beef broth – Add richness and flavor to the stew.
- Tomato paste – Tomato paste helps to thicken the broth and adds great flavor.
- Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper – Seasoning used for the stew.
- Worcestershire sauce – Adds depth of flavor to the stew.
How To Make the Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Chop the vegetables and set aside.
- Mix the tomato paste and beef broth together.
- Next, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Dredge the beef in flour and then place half of the beef in the heated skillet.
- Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until browned but not cooked through. Remove the beef and add the other half and brown on each side.
- Add the browned beef to the slow cooker. Add chopped vegetables, beef broth mixture, Italian seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Set the crockpot to low and cook for 7-8 hours.
- I like using the small golden potatoes for this recipe. You can rinse them off and cut them in half. Feel free to use other potatoes, just be sure to keep them in about 1-inch chunks.
- If you are in a hurry, chop your vegetables the night before. I also like buying pre-cut stew meat to save time.
- Don’t skip out on the browning of the meat. This adds so much flavor to the stew.
How to store
Yes, beef stew can be frozen. Prepare the recipe as written. Once it has cooked, let it completely cool. Transfer the stew to a freezer container.
When you are ready to eat, let the stew thaw in the refrigerator and then pour in a large pot to reheat on the stove.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe FAQ
Yes, raw beef can be placed in the slow cooker. This recipes calls for browning the meat first to add flavor but you can add the meat totally raw.
A good stew takes time to develop flavors. I recommend cooking this beef stew on low for 8 hours to get the most tender, flavorful meat and vegetables.
The beef and vegetables should be covered in liquid for a good stew.
More slow cooker recipes
Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef stew meat boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs small golden potatoes, halved
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 large onion
- 8 oz mushrooms, halved
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Heat butter in a large pan. Season beef with salt and pepper and then dredge through flour. Add 1/2 beef to pan and brown on all sides. Remove and repeat with remaining beef.
- Stir together tomato paste and beef broth.
- Add the browned beef to slow cooker. Add chopped vegetables, beef broth and tomato paste, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce.
- Set to slow cooker for 6-8 hours and serve
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.