Lipton onion soup meatloaf is a classic recipe that has be served up for years. Full of onion flavor, this simple recipe is sure to become a meal the whole family will enjoy.
You’ll LOVE this Meatloaf Recipe with Onion Soup Mix
There are many Lipton onion soup mix recipes but I think the meatloaf is one of my favorites! This is a seriously easy meatloaf recipe with just a few ingredients.
The secret ingredient is one envelope of Lipton onion soup mix. It really adds so much flavor without being overpowering.
Lipton Soup Meatloaf Ingredients
- Ground beef – To achieve a moist and flavorful meatloaf, try using 80/20 ground beef. You can substitute with lean ground beef or even ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Lipton onion soup mix – The secret ingredient! This dry mix is packaged in a box and can typically be found in the soup aisle at the grocery store.
- Eggs – 2 eggs are needed.
- Ketchup – This helps with moisture and adds a little extra flavor. You can substitute the ketchup with barbecue sauce or marinara sauce for different flavor profile.
- Water – Keeps the meatloaf moist and tender.
- Breadcrumbs – You can use regular breadcrumbs or Panko bread crumbs. Crumbled crackers or butter crackers also work well.
- Brown sugar – This is needed for the glaze.
- Ground mustard – Balances out the sweetness in the meatloaf glaze.
- Ground black pepper – Adds a little hint of spice.
How to make Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
This easy Lipton onion soup meatloaf recipe can be cooked in the oven or in the air fryer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place one envelope soup mix, eggs, water, and ketchup in a large bowl. Mix together until combined.
- Add the ground meat and breadcrumbs.
- Mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Shape meat mixture into a loaf. Place in a loaf pan, meatloaf pan, or a large baking dish lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Oven: Bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cooked through. (Start checking at 1 hour.) Check with a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches at least 165 degrees F.
- Air Fryer: Cook at 370 degrees F for 15 minutes. Check to see how it’s cooking and cook another 15 minutes. Spread on glaze and cook 10-15 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Sauce: For the glaze, place ketchup, brown sugar, and ground mustard in a small saucepan.
- Warm over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Brush the glaze over the meatloaf, slice and serve.
Lipton Meatloaf Recipe Tips
- While Lipton is the popular brand name, you can use another dry onion soup brand.
- Be sure not to over mix the ground beef mixture. Over mixing can make the meatloaf tough.
- If using ground turkey or chicken, add an extra 1/4 of water to help keep it moist.
- Be sure to bake this uncovered so that it can develop the crispy crust on the outside.
- Want to add extra moisture and flavor? Try placing strips of bacon over the meatloaf before it goes in the oven to bake.
- You can also add in 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese for added flavor.
- Trying to sneak in some vegetables? Finely chop your favorite veggies like celery, red bell pepper, onions, or carrots. Quickly sauté them to soften before adding into meat mixture.
- Don’t want a big loaf? Try making the mixture into meatloaf burgers.
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf Recipe FAQ
A few tips for the perfectly moist meatloaf include using ground beef with a little bit of fat, like 80/20. Another key is not to over mix the meatloaf because it can cause it to become dry and tough.
Yes and no. You can cover meatloaf while baking to help keep it extra moist. If you are making a meatloaf using ground turkey or chicken this might be helpful. It’s not necessary to cover while baking and if you prefer having a crust on the meatloaf, bake uncovered.
Eggs and bread crumbs are typically used to hold meatloaf together. You can replace breadcrumbs with stuffing mix or even oatmeal.
How to serve Lipton Onion Soup Mix Meatloaf
Onion soup meatloaf makes wonderful leftovers! Try cutting some slices for a meatloaf sandwich.
There are many great side dishes to serve with meatloaf. A few favorites are:
Vegetables: Green beans, brussels sprouts, roasted carrots, roasted broccoli
Potatoes: Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, sweet potato slices, hash brown casserole, roasted potatoes
Bread: Texas toast, bread sticks, dinner rolls
Pasta: Buttered noodles, green pasta, garlic butter noodles
How to store
Store: Let the meatloaf completely cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Leftovers can be frozen in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months. If you are making one meatloaf for dinner, try making a second one to freeze for a delicious freezer meal.
Reheat: Reheat in the air fryer, microwave, or oven.
More easy beef recipes
Did you try this easy beef meatloaf recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place soup mix, eggs, water, and ketchup in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the ground meat and breadcrumbs. Mix until just combined.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place either in a loaf pan or meatloaf pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or a large baking dish lined with foil or sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cooked through. (Start checking at 1 hour.) Check with a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches at least 165 degrees F.
- For the glaze, place ketchup, brown sugar, and ground mustard in a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Brush the glaze over the meatloaf, slice and serve.
This is the best meatloaf recipe. I’ve ever made and tasted. Its a delight to eat and make for my family.
Great recipe. I did switch it up a bit after making this recipe a few times. I strained the onion soup mix and used the seasoning only. Added a finely chopped small onion, Ray’s bbq sauce, 2 cloves of fresh garlic and topped with strips of red peppers w bbq brushed over peppers.
I made a frito lay’s sour cream and onion meatloaf it turned out okay, so the next meatloaf recipe I’m trying is that sour cream and onion flavor burger (I hope I could turn it into a meatloaf)well,going back to the Frito-Lay meatloaf it uses the sour cream and onion potato chips to flavor the meatloaf,it was more on the sour cream taste than on the onion side, but this recipe that use brown sugar for the glaze,if you don’t have any brown sugar on hand, then if you have a packet of unused glaze from a holiday ham, then use it instead it’ll make your meatloaf a slight moisture and a little flavorful too.
Been making this for years except using oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs. Excellent and so very healthy.
Do you put the glaze on after it’s cooked or when you first put it in the oven
I put it on after it’s cooked and then cook an additional 4-5 minutes once it’s on.
Instead of ketchup or marinara sauce, make it with mushroom gravy.
Bake it first, then 15 minutes before it’s done, take it out and spread mushroom gravy over it, then finish baking. It’s fantastic.
I didn’t see salt (or how much) in your ingredients?
There is salt in the onion soup mix so I didn’t add any extra. Feel free to add to taste, I would recommend starting at 1/8-1/4 teaspoon.
I was in a big big hurry……This was sooooo easy !! I used Beefy Onion Soup Mix, cut the recipe in half and put Sweet Baby Ray’s on top …Aced It!!
Fried meatloaf sandwiches are so yummy.
Awesome recipe! Very moist. I used chicken brother instead of water.
You didn’t explain where the pepper was supposed to go!
Sorry the salt and ground black pepper are mixed in with the meat mixture.
Very good recipe!!!
This was delicious, quick and easy. My mom used to make a meatloaf just like this when my brother and I were kids. Hers did not have the glaze, which is a terrific addition. Making and eating this was like having her back again. Thank you!
This recipe is great! Used it today for the first time and it will be my only meatloaf recipe from now on. Looking forward to the leftovers for sandwiches.
I made this and invited a friend over for dinner. It was so easy to make and so delicious! We both loved it and I printed the recipe to make again–many times, I’m sure. My kind of recipe–easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious!
I use cornflakes in a food processor, so it’s real fine and use instead of bread! Because , I have to eat gluten-free
I have one in the oven right now, I used defrosted ground turkey meat and there was no need for extra water, I found my mix almost soupy so I added some extra bread crumb, it’s not out of the oven yet, but I’m hoping it cooks up to a consistency I can cut rather than spoon out of the pan. It smells yummy, and was easy to put together. Hoping for the best. Thanks for sharing.
I made it low carb by using pork rinds that I ground up in a food processor. It was delicious. You’d never know there were pork rinds in there.
Big fan of meatloaf and this sounds delicious! Can you tell me if the nutrition information is per serving or for the entire loaf?
I made this using ground turkey meat instead. It was great. Our sides were mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts.
My family LOVED LOVED LOVED this! This is a repeat for Easter Dinner!
I just substituted the ketchup for marinara, panko for brradcrumbs and added 1/3 cup of parmesan. It was RIDICULOUS!
So glad you liked it!
Enjoyed meatloaf very moist.
I tried it! It came out great! Made my own onion soup mix because I don’t like some of the ingredients in store bought… Also added some grated zucchini and grated carrots just to sneak some extra veggies in it… Made the glaze with ketchup tomato sauce Dijon mustard and Worcestershire… Because I didn’t want the sugar of the brown sugar it turned out great that way… Couldn’t figure out how to post a picture of it though
I’ve been making this for years. Best meatloaf I ever tasted. The original recipe called for fresh breadcrumbs rather than dry. Also it did not include the topping. I used a can of tomato sauce which I put on about the last 10 or 15 minutes. The topping in this recipe sounds delicious. I think I will try it next time.
Been making this for years…and continue with the fresh breadcrumbs.👍