Learn how long to bake meatballs in the oven with this easy baked meatball recipe. Made with simple ingredients, they are juicy and full of flavor.
Homemade meatballs are a great go-to recipe for an easy weeknight dinner or when entertaining guests.
No need to fry these, just combine ingredients and bake. Baking meatballs is great because you can cook many at one time. This recipe makes about 30 1-inch meatballs but can be easily doubled if you have friends and family over for dinner.
Ground beef – You can use your favorite ground beef.
Bread crumbs – These can also be substituted with Panko bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs. You can also substitute with gluten-free bread crumbs.
Parmesan cheese – Grated or shredded parmesan cheese work wonderful.
Egg – This helps to bind the meatballs together.
Milk – Milk adds a little moisture to the meatballs.
Worcestershire sauce – Adds a hint of salty flavor. This is an optional ingredient.
Salt, pepper, garlic powder – Season to taste. You can also add other spices like Italian seasoning blend.
How to make meatballs
Step one: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Step two: Place bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl. Stir to let the milk soak in the crumbs. Mix in egg. Stir in ground beef, parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
Step three: Roll meat mixture into 1 inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Step four: Bake meatballs for approximately 20 minutes. The internal temperature should be at least 160 degrees F.
How long to bake meatballs
The length of time to bake meatballs will depend on how large the meatballs have been rolled and also how well done you like the meatballs.
Cooking meatballs at 400 degrees F gives them a nice browned outer crispy crust while keeping them moist and tender in the middle. Depending on how large they are it will take 20-25 minutes and maybe up to 30 minutes if they are really large in size.
- This recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd.
- For this recipe I rolled the meatballs about 1-inch in size. If you like them larger, you can make them about 1 inch and a half.
- Try using a cookie scoop to make uniform sized balls.
- Feel free to add different spices or fresh herbs like chopped fresh parsley or basil. Want to add a little heat, mix in 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- These are cooked at 400 degrees F but how long to cook meatballs at 350 degrees? Cooking at 350 F will take closer to 30 minutes of cook time.
How to serve
These homemade meatballs are delicious on their own but are also very versatile and can be used for other things like:
- Meatball Subs
- Meatball Bombs
- Serve as an appetizer with marinara sauce.
- Use to top your favorite pasta dish or spaghetti squash.
- Serve with your favorite side dish like a salad, garlic bread, or steamed vegetables.
How to store
Store: Store leftover meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to let them completely cool before storing.
Freeze: These meatballs can be frozen for later use. Let them cool after baking. Place them on a clean baking sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes or until frozen. Add them in a freezer safe container or bag and store for up to three months.
Thaw frozen meatballs in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in the oven or air fryer.
How long to cook meatballs in sauce?
The cooking time will be the same if baking with sauce. If baking with sauce, I recommend cooking the meatballs in a baking dish. Pour the sauce in halfway through cooking.
More easy ground beef recipes
Did you try this easy dinner recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
How Long To Bake Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl. Stir to let the milk soak in the crumbs. Mix in egg. Stir in ground beef, parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Roll meat mixture into 1 inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.