How To Make A Slushie
Jun 26, 2020, Updated Apr 20, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Today we are sharing how to make a slushie easily at home. These flavorful, icy drinks taste better than the ones from the store and at a fraction of the cost. The kids will also love being able to pick their own flavor. Ready, set, BLEND!
Forget the gas station, you can make the best slushies at home with a simple packet of Kool-Aid. They are so great to enjoy on a hot summer day, really any day!
On a warm day you really can’t go wrong with these drinks. Always a hit with family and friends, especially by the pool, lake, beach or right at home. All you need is a blender, ice, drink mix and you are ready to go.
What makes these slushies with Kool-Aid so good
- These can be made super cheap. One Kool-Aid packet makes about 4 large portions and the packets usually cost around twenty-five cents. Each drink cost pennies compared to the dollars you would spend at the store.
- The ability to make your favorite flavor. If you have a group, you can quickly and easily make different flavors to please the crowd.
- Quick to make. You can whip up a batch in 5 minutes.
One thing you will need is a good blender to crush up ice. This is key to a good frozen drink.
Ice – Ice is an important part of this slushie recipe. You want these to be super cold.
Kool-Aid – Choose your favorite flavor, or favorite powdered drink like lemonade. The kids loved the blue raspberry lemonade but they are all delicious.
Sugar – This adds a little sweetness to the drinks. Feel free to cut it back to 1/2 cup if you would like to reduce the sugar.
Water – Helps to dissolve the sugar and adds a little liquid to help things blend together.
How to make a slushie with a blender
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mix: Pour sugar in a large bowl and add sugar. Give it a stir to mix the sugar. (***You can also add sugar and water directly to the blender, I just think mixing them together first helps to distribute the sugar.)
- Blend: Pour sugar water, Kool-Aid, and ice in the blender. Blend until ice is crushed and blended.
- Serve: Serve immediately before the ice starts to melt.
There are many different flavors you can make with Kool-Aid but feel free to use any powdered drink mix like:
- Jolly Rancher drink mix
- Crystal Light
- Tang or Crush
You can even try layering different flavors for a fun taste and look.
These are also amazing with a scoop of ice cream or sherbet added to the mixture. The ice cream gives it a more creamy texture.
Can you add alcohol
Adults love these drinks too and if you want to add a little alcohol like vodka, pour about 1/2 cup to the blender with other ingredients. One we enjoy during the summer is using lemonade powder with tequila.
How to store
Unfortunately, slushies are hard to store. If you keep them in the refrigerator the ice will melt and if you put them in the freezer, they will freeze all the way through.
More delicious drinks
- Pineapple lemonade – Tasty mix of tart lemonade and sweet pineapple.
- Strawberry lemonade – Beautiful and delicious, strawberry lemonade is a great summer drink.
- Iced vanilla latte – Forget the coffee shop, you can easily make this iced latte at home.
- Cucumber lemon water – This refreshing infused water is a great way to stay hydrated.
- Rainbow water – Water infused with a colorful mix of fruit.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and rating below.
How to Make A Slushie
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Kool-aid packet
- 4 cups ice
- Pour sugar in large bowl. Add water and stir to dissolve.
- Pour sugar water, Kool-Aid, and ice in blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.