Waldorf Salad is a classic recipe filled with apples, grapes and nuts. This creamy fruit salad is always a hit!
Waldorf Salad is one of those dishes that always makes an appearance during a holiday meal. Creamy and slightly sweet, it has become a dish my kids ask for every special occasion.
WHAT IS WALDORF SALAD
This salad is made with fruit and nuts and typically has a mayonaisse dressing served on lettuce. Oscar Tschirky, who worked at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in 1896 is credited with developing the recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THIS WALDORF SALAD RECIPE
This Waldorf Salad Recipe uses Greek yogurt instead of the classic mayonnaise. If you prefer mayo, feel free to substitute.
- Start by making the dressing. Stir together Greek yogurt, honey and lemon juice.
- Dice apples and celery into small pieces and cut grapes in half.
- Pour dressing over apples, celery, grapes and nuts. Stir until everything is covered.
TIPS FOR MAKING WALDORF SALAD WITH YOGURT
- If you like your salad a little sweeter you can add a pinch of sugar or use vanilla Greek yogurt.
- Make sure to cut fruit in bite size pieces.
This salad is also great with the addition of shredded chicken to make it a complete meal. Serve it on a bed of lettuce or even in as a wrap in a tortilla.
MORE SALAD RECIPES
- 3/4 cup Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablesppon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 apple diced
- 1/2 cup green grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup red grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- lettuce, optional
- Stir together yogurt, lemon juice and honey in a bowl.
- Add diced apples, grapes, celery and pecans. Pour dressing over ingredients and stir until covered. Refrigerate until ready to serve.