This festive cranberry Moscow mule is simple to stir up and a delicious version of a classic cocktail. An easy drink to make for a quiet night at home or a holiday gathering.
It’s cranberry season, when you can easily find fresh cranberries on the grocery store shelves. We love using these beautiful red berries for a variety of things like cranberry jalapeno dip , cranberry dump cake and cranberry cheesecake dip.
Cranberries also are a wonderful addition to a traditional Moscow mule drink. Add a splash of cranberry juice and fresh or frozen berries for the perfect drink to entertain with during the holiday season.
What you need
What do you need for a tasty Moscow mule? This recipe is similar to a vodka cranberry cocktail and calls for just 4 simple ingredients.
Ginger beer: Ginger beer adds a nice spicy, ginger flavor to this drink. There are many brands of ginger beer on the shelves but I recommend just going with your favorite. A few of my preferred brands are Fever Tree, Bundaberg and Gosling.
Vodka: The best vodka for a Moscow mule can vary, but go for a quality, clean, crisp vodka like Tito’s, Absolut, or Ketel One. I would avoid using the cheapest brand on the shelf. Since this recipe has such few ingredients, go for quality.
Cranberry juice: I like using cranberry juice cocktail because it’s easy to find and a little sweeter. Feel free to use 100% cranberry juice for a drink that’s less sweet and more tart.
Lime juice: Use fresh squeezed lime juice for the best mule cocktail.
Ice: Crushed ice is traditional for this drink but you can also use regular ice cubes.
How to make cranberry Moscow mule
This drink is as simple as pouring and stirring.
- Fill the glass with ice or crushed ice.
- Pour in vodka, cranberry juice, ginger beer and lime juice. Stir to combine the flavors.
- Garnish with frozen cranberries, lime wedge and serve.
- Feel free to adjust the quantities of each ingredient to suit your taste. If you prefer a slightly spicier drink, add more ginger beer. If you like sweeter, add more juice.
- If serving this in a pitcher, I recommend not adding ice to the pitcher. Make sure your juice and ginger beer are cold before mixing, then when ready to drink, pour over a glass of ice. This way your large batch Moscow mule won’t get watered down. You can also add frozen cranberries or frozen lime wedges to help keep the drink cold.
- Traditional Moscow mules are served in a copper mug. They help to keep the drink cool and refreshing and they are also just really darn pretty.
How to garnish
This Moscow mule can be garnished in a number of ways. Here are a few suggestions:
- lime wedges
- cranberries or frozen cranberries
- fresh rosemary
- fresh mint
- crystalized ginger
Can this be made into large batch?
This cranberry Moscow mule can be made into a single serving or a large batch for a party. Serving this in a pitcher is great way for guests to be able to serve themselves during the gathering.
To make this cocktail into a large batch, increase the amounts according to how many servings you would like to make. For 6 servings I use:
- 6 oz vodka
- 8 oz cranberry juice
- 12 oz ginger beer
- Juice of 2 limes
- Frozen cranberries
Can I substitute ginger ale for ginger beer? Yes, if you would like a sweeter, less spicy Moscow mule, you can substitute ginger ale.
Can I make a cranberry Moscow mule mocktail? Yes, this can be made into a mocktail by leaving out the vodka.
Can I change the alcohol? Yes, a “mule” cocktail can be changed by simply changing the liquor. Try substituting vodka with rum, gin, bourbon, or tequila for a twist.
More easy cocktail recipes
- Malibu sunset – Fruity drink made with rum.
- Malibu bay breeze – Another delicious version of a coconut rum drink.
- Midori sour – Fun, colorful drink made with Midori liqueur.
- Vodka soda – A classic, simple cocktail.
If you made this cocktail recipe, let me know if the comments how it turned out and feel free to give it a star rating. I love hearing from you!
Cranberry Moscow Mule
- 1 cup ice
- 2 oz vodka
- 4 oz cranberry juice
- 4 ginger beer
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cranberries for garnish optional
- Add ice to copper mug or glass.
- Pour vodka, cranberry juice, ginger beer and lime juice over the ice. Gently serve and garnish with cranberries and lime wedge.