Air Fryer Potato Skins are the perfect appetizer for a party or gathering! Crispy potato skins filled with your favorite toppings. So easy to make in the air fryer!
This potato skins recipe is so fun to serve to friends and family. Sometimes I even love making an “appetizer” dinner with several of our favorites like these loaded skins, bacon wrapped water chestnuts and vegetable pinwheels.
No need for frozen, you can make homemade potato skins in the air fryer easily. The air fryer makes this skins so nice and crispy, just like what you would get in the restaurant.
Best potatoes to use?
I used smaller Idaho or Russet potatoes. You can also use sweet potatoes!
If you order potato skins at a restaurant they are typically deep fried to give them crispy skins. That is why I love my air fryer because you can achieve the same crispiness without all the extra fat.
How to bake the potato
There are several ways to bake the potato for this appetizer. For this recipe I used the air fryer.
Air fryer – This method makes the skins nice and crispy. I love air fryer baked potatoes for a side dish, meal or this appetizer.
Microwave – It’s easy to bake potatoes in the microwave. Pierce each potato with a fork and microwave for about 10 minutes.
Oven – Rub potatoes with a olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 1 hour.
How to make air fryer potato skins
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe and ingredients.
You can be prep these ahead of time and then finished off once ready to eat.
- Bake: Start with baking the potato in the air fryer. To achieve a nice crispy skin, brush the outside with olive oil and then season with salt.
- Pierce each potato with a fork and then place in air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 390 degrees F and then bake for 30-40minutes. (They might need a few extra minutes of cooking time depending on size.)
- Scoop: Let cool and then cut in half. Using a spoon, scoop out inside leaving a little to hold the shape.
- Cheese: Season the inside of the potato with a little salt and pepper and then top with shredded cheese. Place back in the air fryer basket and bake for another 5 minutes at 390 degrees.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
Toppings for loaded potato skins
You can top these skins with whatever you like! Here are a few of my favorite potato skins toppings:
- Greek yogurt
- Pickled jalapenos
- Diced tomatoes or salsa
- Shredded BBQ
Are potato skins good for you?
Yes, the skin has more nutrients and fiber than the inside.
What can you do with the inside of potato skins?
I like to use the inside of the skins for things like potato cakes, mashed potatoes and potato soup.
How to store?
Store: You can make the potato skins, let them cool and then wrap in foil. Store them in refrigerator for 2-3 days. When ready to eat, top with cheese and cook in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes to warm and melt the cheese.
Freeze: To freeze, bake the potatoes and scoop out the inside. Lay the potato shells on a baking sheet in the freezer for about 1 hour or until frozen. Place in a freezer safe bag in the freezer for 3 months.
Best air fryer to use
More easy appetizer recipes
- Sausage Cheese Dip
- Mini Crab Cakes
- Chipped Beef Cheese Ball
- Vegetable Pinwheels
- Crack Dip
- Chipped Beef Dip
- Knorr Spinach Dip
***If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating.
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- 4 baking potatoes small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled optional for topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional for topping
- coarse salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- 1 diced green onion optional for topping
- Clean and dry potatoes. Coat the skins with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Pierce a few holes in the potatoes with a fork.
- Place potatoes in the air fryer basket. Cook at 390 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool and then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out inside of the potato leaving a little to hold the shape of the skin.
- Season the inside of the potatoes with salt and pepper. Add in shredded cheese and then place skins back in air fryer.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, bacon and green onion.