Air Fryer Potato Skins are the perfect appetizer for a party or gathering! Crispy potato skins filled with your favorite toppings. So easy to make in the air fryer!
This potato skins recipe is so fun to serve to friends and family. Sometimes I even love making an “appetizer” dinner with several of our favorites like these loaded skins, bacon wrapped water chestnuts and vegetable pinwheels.
BEST POTATOES TO USE FOR AIR FRYER POTATO SKINS?
I used smaller Idaho or Russet potatoes. You can also use sweet potatoes!
If you order potato skins at a restaurant they are typically deep fried to give them crispy skins. That is why I love my air fryer because you can achieve the same crispiness without all the extra fat.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER POTATO SKINS
These air fryer potato skins can be prepped ahead of time and then finished off once ready to eat.
- Start with baking the potato in the air fryer. To achieve a nice crispy skin, brush the outside with olive oil and then season with salt.
- Pierce each potato with a fork and then place in air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 390 degrees F and then bake for 30 minutes. (They might need a few extra minutes of cooking time depending on size.)
- Let cool and then cut in half. Using a spoon, scoop out inside leaving a little to hold the shape.
- Season the inside of the potato with a little salt and pepper and then top with shredded cheese. Place back in the air fryer basket and bake for another 5 minutes at 390 degrees.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
TOPPINGS FOR LOADED POTATO SKINS
You can top these skins with whatever you like! Here are a few of my favorite potato skins toppings:
- Greek yogurt
- Pickled jalapenos
- Diced tomatoes or salsa
- Shredded BBQ
ARE POTATO SKINS GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes, the skin has more nutrients and fiber than the inside.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH INSIDE OF POTATO SKINS?
I like to use the inside of the skins for things like potato cakes, mashed potatoes and potato soup.
HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
You can make the potato skins, wrap in foil and then keep in refrigerator for 2-3 days. When ready to eat, top with cheese and cook in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes to warm and melt the cheese.
MORE EASY APPETIZER RECIPES
***If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating.
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- 4 baking potatoes small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled optional for topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional for topping
- coarse salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- 1 diced green onion optional for topping
- Clean and dry potatoes. Coat the skins with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Pierce a few holes in the potatoes with a fork.
- Place potatoes in the air fryer basket. Cook at 390 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool and then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out inside of the potato leaving a little to hold the shape of the skin.
- Season the inside of the potatoes with salt and pepper. Add in shredded cheese and then place skins back in air fryer.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, bacon and green onion.