Crack dip is just the appetizer to serve at your next gathering. Creamy dip filled with bacon, cheese and ranch seasonings, your family and friends will be asking for more.
Why this recipe works
- Can be made quick and easy. Great last minute no fuss appetizer!
- Seriously so tasty. Salty, creamy, cheesy, all the things that make up the perfect dip.
- Great dip for a crowd at parties and holidays.
What is crack dip?
Maybe you have heard of other recipes like crack chicken or this dip. I’m not sure where the name came from but it typically means a mixture of ranch, cheese and bacon. This recipe can sometimes also be referred to as Million Dollar Dip.
This is an easy dip recipe with few ingredients that comes together for a burst of flavor.
Cream cheese – Make sure that it is softened. This helps to achieve a soft, creamy dip.
Sour cream – Feel free to use full fat or light sour cream.
Bacon– I prefer using cooked bacon and chopping into small pieces but store bought bacon bits also works well.
Ranch seasoning – This is a key ingredient for this dip. Use packaged or homemade seasoning mix.
Green onion – Adds a little color and crunch.
Cheddar cheese – This recipe calls for cheddar cheese, feel free to use mild or sharp.
Seasoned salt – This adds an extra kick of flavor.
How to make the best crack dip recipe
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe and video.
- Mix: Add cream cheese, ranch seasoning, seasoned salt and sour cream to large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer.
- Stir: Stir in bacon bits, cheese and onions.
- Chill: Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What to use for dipping
There are many different things you can use to scoop up this delicious spread. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Crackers : butter crackers, saltine crackers, wheat and more.
- Vegetables: celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumbers, bell peppers and more.
- Chips: Fritos, tortilla chips, and potato chips work well.
- Other: This is also great spread on a tortilla and rolled up for a pinwheel appetizer.
This dip is easy to change up by adding different ingredients. Here are a few ways to
- Protein: Try adding cooked sausage, ground beef or shredded chicken.
- Heat: Spice up your dip with diced jalapenos or hot sauce.
- Cheese: I used mild cheddar but this dip is great other cheeses like Monterey jack, Mexican blend, or even pepper jack.
- Warm: This dip recipe can be served warm. Spread it in a baking dish and place in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
How long can you leave out this party dip?
Since this dip is made with perishable ingredients, it should not sit out at room temperature for more than 2-3 hours. If this dip is served already chilled, 3 hours would be the maximum time you would want it out before putting back into the refrigerator.
- Make sure to let the cream cheese soften before mixing. I usually set it out on the counter 30 minutes before making.
- I love using cooked crumbled bacon or even turkey bacon. Bacon bits also work well especially if you are in a hurry.
- This dip is great served chilled but it can be served immediately after making.
More easy appetizer dips
- Cucumber avocado dip – Cool, creamy and crunchy, this dip is great for a warm day.
- Pumpkin hummus – A fun twist on classic hummus.
- Bacon spinach artichoke dip – Warm, cheese dip with bacon and artichokes.
- Shrimp dip – Warm dip filled with shrimp.
- Cream cheese fruit dip – A delicious, cream cheese dip perfect for fresh fruit.
***If you made this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1 oz package ranch seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup bacon bits or 6 pieces cooked chopped bacon
- Using an electric mixer, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning and seasoned salt.
- Stir in green onions, bacon, and cheese.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.