Chipped Beef Cheese Ball is with filled cheese, seasonings, cream cheese and green onions. A delicious, creamy appetizer for a party. Serve with crackers, bread or vegetables for the perfect party food.
This dried beef cheese ball is something my parents would make during the holidays when we had family visit. It’s a great, easy appetizer for entertaining-creamy, crunchy and so delicious!
There are so many wonderful cheese ball recipes like this pimento cheese ball. This chipped beef recipe version is one of my favorites and always a crowd pleaser.
Cream cheese – A block of cream cheese is the base of the mixture. Full fat cream cheese works best but you can substitute with low-fat.
Shredded cheese – I like using cheddar or a colby jack mixture.
Green onion – Adds a nice mild onion taste.
Chipped beef – Also know as dried beef. This is the main ingredient and star of the show. Buddig beef is one of the most popular brands you can find at the grocery store.
Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and seasoned salt – Add saltiness and flavor.
What is chipped beef?
Chipped beef is pressed, salted and dried beef that has been sliced very thin. You can find chipped beef in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, usually by deli meats.
How to roll a cheese ball
Using plastic wrap helps to form a cheese ball with minimal mess.
Place the mixture in the middle of a section of plastic wrap.
Gather the corners together and twist. Use your hands to form a ball and then unwrap the plastic or cut the twist at the base.
How to make chipped beef cheese ball
Scroll down for full printable recipe, simple ingredients and instructional video.
- Combine: Add chopped, dried beef, softened cream cheese, shredded cheese, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and seasoned salt to a large bowl.
- Mix: Mix all of the ingredients together until well combined. Use a spatula or a hand mixer.
- Shape: Place the mixture on a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a ball.
- Cool: Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before coating.
- Coat: Coat cheese ball with reserved chipped beef and green onions. Serve.
Tips and variations
- A big tip with using cream cheese is to allow it to soften to room temperature. It makes it SO much easier to mix together with the other ingredients.
- Make sure to dice your ingredients pretty small so they are easy to eat.
- Take out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving to allow to soften.
- If you would like to add a little more color and crunch to the cheese ball, roll in chopped nuts before serving.
- If you would like to add a little spice, stir in 1 tablespoon of prepared horseradish to the cream cheese mixture.
How to serve
Serve with your favorite crackers, cut up vegetables or little pieces or toasted bread. I have also used this mixture to stuff in mushrooms.
How long does it last?
If you store in an air tight container in the refrigerator, this will stay good for about a week.
Can I freeze?
Yes, you can freeze a chipped beef cream cheese ball. Keep the ball in the plastic wrap and then place in a freezer safe bag. Once you are ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator. If you want to add a coating, do that after it has thawed.
More delicious appetizers
- Hot sausage beer cheese dip – One of our favorite appetizer recipes on the blog.
- Jalapeno popper dip – Filled with sausage, cheese and peppers.
- Easy chicken empanadas – These are so easy to make and always a huge hit.
- Sausage Balls – Appetizer or meal, these 3 ingredient balls pack a lot of flavor.
This cheese ball recipe with dried beef is one of my favorite things to serve for a crowd.
*If you have made this nostalgic recipe, be sure to give it a star rating below.
Chipped Beef Cheese ball
- 2 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 2 oz package of chipped beef, finely chopped reserve 1/4 cup for rolling
- 5 green onions, diced reserve 1/4 cup for rolling
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place all ingredients into a medium bowl and mix together.
- Form mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Place reserved chipped beef and green onions on a plate or in a large bowl. Unwrap cheese ball and roll in beef an onions to coat.
- Serve with cracker, vegetables, or sliced bread.