Crispy Tater Tot Waffles Recipe
Aug 03, 2023, Updated Feb 09, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tater tot waffles are super easy to make and fun for a simple breakfast or side dish. Serve these tater tot waffles by themselves or with your favorite toppings.
Waffles don’t have to be sweet. These savory waffles made with tater tots are a fun alternative to the typical hash browns.
You can make this recipe in about 10 minutes once the frozen tater tots have thawed. This makes the recipe perfect for a quick meal.
- Tater tots – Make sure that the frozen tater tots have been thawed before cooking them. You can also use crispy crowns.
- Non-stick cooking spray – Use to spray the waffle maker. It also helps to make the waffles crispy.
- Waffle maker – This recipe will work for most waffle makers. Just adjust the amount of tater tots used to fit your waffle iron. I am using an individual mini waffle maker.
How to make tater tot waffles
Step one: Preheat the waffle maker. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.
Step two: Place thawed tater tots in a single layer in the greased waffle iron. Make sure to pack them tight so they are touching. Close waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- You can quickly thaw the frozen tots in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- If you are making these for a crowd, preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the waffles that have been cooked on the pan in the oven to keep warm before serving.
Tater tot waffle toppings
There are so many different toppings you can put on these crispy tater tot waffles.
- Eggs – Top these crispy potatoes with scrambled eggs or over hard or runny eggs.
- Chili – Try topping with chili, cheese, and sour cream for a delicious meal.
- Bacon – Add crumbled bacon, cheese, sour cream, and diced green onion.
- Sausage – Breakfast sausage and egg make a tasty meal. You could even add maple syrup.
- Sauce – These are also great served with your favorite dipping sauce like ketchup, zesty sauce, breakfast sauce, or even gravy.
This is a simple base recipe that can be easily customized. Here are a few suggestions:
Potatoes – I am using frozen tater tots but you can substitute with shredded hash browns, sweet potato tots, or crispy crowns.
Spices – Add a little extra flavor to your potatoes by tossing them with seasonings like garlic powder,
How to store leftovers
Store any leftover waffles in an airtight container or zip-top bag in the refrigerator. They will last 3-4 days. Reheat them in the waffle iron, in the air fryer, or in the oven.
More easy breakfast recipes
- Steak, egg, and cheese bagel – A hearty breakfast sandwich that can be served any time of day.
- Breakfast burrito – Easy breakfast sausage burrito.
- Breakfast quesadillas – Simple quesadillas filled with eggs and cheese.
- Breakfast drinks – 25 of the best drinks to serve for breakfast.
Tater Tot Waffles
- 1 Waffle iron
- non-stick cooking spray
- 6 tater tots thawed
- Preheat the waffle iron. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange thawed tater tots on the waffle iron. Close the lid and press down as much as possible. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Carefully remove from the iron and serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.