Stuffed Sausage Recipe
Nov 16, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This stuffed sausage recipe is great for a fast, easy meal. Only 3 ingredients and 30 minutes are needed to have a delicious dinner for any day of the week that the entire family will love.
There are many nights when I need a fast, simple dinner. That’s why I like having a pack of sausages in the refrigerator because they are so versatile.
This stuffed sausage recipe is one of my go-to’s during a busy week because:
- Easy dinner recipe that only requires 3 ingredients but is full of flavor.
- Versatile – Can be served as a low-carb, keto, gluten-free dish with a variety of veggies or in a roll to make one amazing sandwich.
- Makes great leftovers!
Sausage – Use your favorite like mild, sweet, or spicy Italian sausages. They usually can be found at most grocery stores sold in a pack of 5 sausages. You can even use brats, chicken or turkey sausages, just be sure it has a casing.
Cheese – Mozzarella sticks are the perfect size to fill the sausages. You can use the full fat or reduced fat cheese.
Sauce – Marinara is my favorite choice for these sausages but vodka sauce and alfredo sauce also works. Our favorite marinara sauce is Rao’s marinara sauce because it doesn’t contain any added sugar.
How to make stuffed sausage
Step one: Remove sausages from package. Use a sharp chef’s knife, pairing knife, or sharp kitchen shears to slice the sausages from one end to the other. Make sure not to remove the casing and to only cut halfway through the sausage so the cheese doesn’t melt out of the bottom.
Step two: Carefully place a cheese stick into the cut sausage.
Step three: Pour marinara sauce into a baking dish. Spread it out to cover the bottom of the dish. Place the sausages into the dish in a single layer.
Step four: Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. You will want the internal temperature of the sausage to reach at least 160 degrees F.
Can this be cooked in the air fryer?
The sausages with cheese can be prepared in the air fryer. Fill the sausage with cheese sticks and place them in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Cook at 360 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Again, make sure the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- After stuffing the cheese stick, try to press the sausage together to reform it as best as possible. This helps the cheese stay in place and not ooze out.
- The cook time may vary a bit so make sure to use a meat thermometer and test the internal temperature of the sausages. It should reach at least 160 degrees F, according to the USDA.
This sausage recipe really is delicious by itself but it’s also simple to add some extras.
Veggies: You can also stuff with sautéed bell peppers and onions, we like using these chipotle copycat veggies. Even a few sliced mushrooms or pepperoncini work well.
Cheese: You can use a different variety of cheese stick like cheddar or colby jack. I find the mozzarella melts the best. You could also sprinkle a little grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Seasoning: If you want to amp up the flavor, sprinkle the tops of the sausage with a little Italian seasoning blend.
Can these be made in advance?
Yes, you can assemble them, cover the baking dish with foil and store in the refrigerator up to the day before serving.
How to store
Let the leftovers cool and then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
What to serve with stuffed sausages?
Here are a few suggestions for side dishes:
If you made this sausage recipe be sure to let me know in the comments.
Stuffed Sausage Recipe
- 5 Italian sausages or your favorite sausage with casing
- 5 cheese sticks
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Remove sausages from package. Use a sharp chef's knife, pairing knife, or sharp kitchen shears to slice the sausages from one end to the other. Make sure not to remove the casing and to only cut halfway through the sausage so the cheese doesn't melt out of the bottom.
- Carefully place a cheese stick into the cut sausage. Press together to try and reform the sausage.
- Pour marinara sauce into a baking dish. Spread it out to cover the bottom of the dish. Place the sausages into the dish in a single layer.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. You will want the internal temperature of the sausage to reach at least 160 degrees F.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.