Feb 02, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This meatloaf sandwich recipe is super simple to make, especially with leftover meatloaf. A hearty sandwich that is made with warmed meatloaf, cheese, and all the toppings.
Best leftover meatloaf sandwich
Meatloaf is a classic dinner that always makes great leftovers. One of our favorite ways to use the leftovers is to make hot meatloaf sandwiches. It’s an easy dinner that can be made in under 30 minutes.
- Meatloaf – This is a great recipe to use leftover meatloaf. Some of our favorite meatloaf recipes include this air fryer meatloaf, Lipton onion soup meatloaf, and brown gravy meatloaf. You will need a cold slice of meatloaf.
- Bread – You will want a thicker piece of bread to help hold the slice of meatloaf.
- Cheese – 1-2 slices of cheese like American, Swiss, havarti, or cheddar.
- Tomatoes And Onions – These are optional toppings but add crunch and color. Use red onions, yellow onions, or sweet onions.
- BBQ Sauce And Mayonnaise – These ingredients are used to make a sandwich spread or you can use the meatloaf sauce from the meatloaf.
How to make this meatloaf sandwich recipe
Step one: Spread softened butter on one side of each slice of bread.
Step two: Place the meatloaf slices in a large skillet over medium heat. Warm for 4-5 minutes on each side. Add the slices of bread, butter side down, to the skillet to toast.
Step three: Make the sauce by stirring together mayonnaise and BBQ sauce in a small bowl. (This is optional.) Spread the sauce on bread and then construct your sandwich with a warmed meatloaf slice, slice of cheese, and additional toppings.
Recipe tip for the best meatloaf sandwich
- Bread – Make sure to use a bread that can hold the meatloaf. You will want a thicker sliced bread.
- Meatloaf – Slice the meatloaf in the thickness of your preference. Thicker slices might need a little longer to warm up.
- Internal Temperature – Bring the meatloaf internal temperature to 165 degrees F for a warm sandwich. (You can eat the meatloaf cold if you prefer a cold sandwich.)
- Toppings – Feel free to add your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and more.
- Cheese – I would recommend using a good melty cheese like American, Swiss, Monterey Jack, mozzarella cheese, or even pepper jack cheese.
- Sauces – There are so many options you can use for a sauce. Add more meatloaf sauce which is made with ketchup and brown sugar, plain barbecue sauce, buffalo sauce, or Zesty sauce.
What to serve with meatloaf sandwiches
Some favorite side dishes to serve with this delicious sandwich are:
Yes, you can east leftover meatloaf cold.
A burger is considered something different than a meatloaf sandwich.
More sandwich recipes
- 1-2 slices meatloaf
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices American cheese or favorite cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- Stir the mayonnaise and BBQ sauce together to make spread. (Using this spread is optional.)
- Place slice or slices of meatloaf in a large skillet over medium heat. Warm the meat loaf for 4-5 minutes on each side or until warmed through.
- Spread butter on each slice of bread. Place the bread in the skillet, butter side down, to toast.
- Spread sauce on slice of bread. Place warmed slices of meatloaf on one of the bread. Top with cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, and other slice of bread.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.