Meatloaf with brown gravy is a delicious, filling meal. Easy, homemade meatloaf served with a simple brown gravy is a family favorite.
Why you should try this brown gravy meatloaf
Easy – Meatloaf is surprisingly easy to make and great for a family meal. This recipe is a classic meatloaf recipe but you could also use this air fryer meatloaf or onion soup meatloaf with the gravy.
Delicious – While we love meatloaf with a BBQ sauce or Ketchup sauce, serving it with gravy is really a treat, especially with mashed potatoes. This is comfort food that will warm your belly and your heart.
Leftovers – This brown gravy meatloaf recipe makes wonderful leftovers.
Ingredients needed for brown gravy meatloaf
- Ground beef – I like using a lean ground beef but feel free to use what you have on hand.
- Panko bread crumbs – You can use Panko or substitute with regular bread crumbs.
- Milk – This adds moisture to the meatloaf.
- Worcestershire sauce – Adds more beefy flavor to the dish.
- Eggs – 2 large eggs are used for this recipe.
- Onions – Diced onions add flavor and moisture to the meatloaf.
- Seasonings – Salt, ground black pepper, and Montreal seasoning. You could also use this tasty meatloaf seasoning.
Homemade Brown Gravy
- Beef stock – This gives the gravy its rich flavor. You can substitute with beef broth.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is used to make the roux for the gravy.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is needed to help thicken up the gravy.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and ground black pepper
How to make meatloaf with brown gravy recipe
Step one: Prepare Meatloaf – Add ground beef, milk, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, eggs, and seasonings in a large bowl. Combine the meat mixture and form into a loaf shape. You can cook it in an 8×4 loaf pan or on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
Step two: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
Step three: Gravy – Carefully remove the meatloaf from the oven and let rest while making the gravy. For the gravy, place butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Melt butter and then whisk in the flour.
Step four: Whisk in seasonings and beef stock. Keep whisking until the gravy starts to thicken.
Step five: Slice the meatloaf and pour gravy over the top of meatloaf to serve.
Recipe tips for the perfect meatloaf
- Make sure not to over mix the meatloaf mixture. Over mixing can make it tough.
- If you don’t want to make homemade gravy, use a store-bought brown gravy mix packet.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature reaches at least 160 degrees F.
What to serve with meatloaf
Meatloaf pairs well with many side dishes like mashed potatoes, green beans, french fries, white rice, and macaroni and cheese. Check out this list of 33 meatloaf side dishes for more ideas.
How to store leftovers
I recommend storing the meatloaf separate from the gravy. Let both cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can reheat the meatloaf in the microwave, oven, or air fryer. Reheat the gravy on the stove or in the microwave.
Did you try this delicious meatloaf recipe? Let me know how it turned out in the comments.
More beef recipes
Meatloaf With Brown Gravy
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Montreal seasoning
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cup beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8×4 loaf pan or a cookie sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add ground beef, milk, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, eggs, and seasonings in a large bowl. Combine the meat mixture and form into a loaf shape. Place loaf into the pan or on cookie sheet.
- Bake the meatloaf for 50 minutes – 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Carefully remove meatloaf from the oven.
- While meatloaf is resting, make the gravy. For the gravy, place butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Melt butter and then whisk in the flour.
- Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in beef stock.
- Keep stirring until gravy starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice the meatloaf and pour gravy over meatloaf.
This is the best Meatloaf ever. Moist and delicious, Sunday company worthy.
Yay, so happy you liked it!