This meatball sandwich recipe couldn’t be easier. Frozen meatballs or homemade meatballs are cooked in sauce and then stuffed in a roll with melted cheese. Meatball subs make a hearty meal that is sure to satisfy.
Meatballs are a versatile meal that can be used in many ways. Using them for meatballs subs is an easy dinner idea that you can have made in about minutes, especially if you have precooked meatballs.
Meatballs – Use homemade or frozen meatballs for these sandwiches. You will want to make sure they are fully cooked. Feel free to use beef, pork, chicken, or even turkey meatballs.
Sauce – You can use your favorite spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce.
Cheese – We are using sliced mozzarella cheese. You can substitute with provolone and feel free to also use shredded cheese.
Hoagie rolls – You will want to use a crusty bread or sub rolls that can hold the meatballs.
Butter – This is used to make garlic butter and helps toast the rolls.
Garlic powder – Adds a little flavor to the bread.
How to make meatball sandwiches
Step one: Preheat oven to the broil setting or 400 degrees F. Slice hoagie rolls down the center, being sure not to cut all the way through.
Step two: Combine melted butter and garlic powder to make a garlic butter. Brush the butter on the inside of the sub rolls. Put the rolls in a casserole dish or baking sheet and broil for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Step three: Heat up cooked meatballs and sauce in a saucepan. Place 4-5 meatballs and sauce in the toasted rolls and then place back in the casserole dish or pan.
Step four: Top with cheese. Place back in the oven until cheese melts.
- Want your sandwich super cheesy? Add an extra layer of cheese over the garlic butter, melt in the oven and then top with meatballs, sauce and more cheese.
- Having a party? These sandwiches are great for a crowd like game day. You can cut the sandwiches in half for extra servings or increase the ingredients for more sandwiches.
Cheese – You can use mozzarella, provolone cheese, or any of your favorite type of cheese that melts well like Monterey Jack, cheddar blend, or even a colby jack. I also like to sprinkle a little grated parmesan cheese on top of the sandwiches for extra cheesy flavor.
Veggies – Add some vegetables like sliced onions, diced mushrooms, or bell peppers.
Herbs – Want to add a little freshness? After the sandwiches cook, top with chopped fresh parsley or basil. If you don’t have fresh herbs you can add a little sprinkle of dried Italian seasoning. And for some heat, sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
What is the best bread for meatball subs?
A long, sturdy sandwich roll or bun works well. You can use hot dog buns but they tend to be a little softer.
What to serve with meatball sandwiches
I have a whole post dedicated to 20 of our favorite meatball sub sides. A few popular ones include a simple green salad or french fries.
How to store
If you have leftovers, it’s best to store the bread and cheese separate from the meatballs. Store the meatballs with sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Let me know if you tried the cheesy sandwich in the comments.
More sandwich recipes
- Air fryer grilled cheese sandwich
- Steak egg and cheese bagel sandwich
- Shredded chicken sandwich
- 25 Bagel sandwich recipes
Meatball Sandwich Recipe
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 meatballs frozen or homemade
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to broil or 400 degrees F.
- Prepare frozen meatballs according to package or make homemade meatballs.
- Place cooked meatballs in a large saucepan with sauce. Heat on low.
- Stir together melted butter and garlic powder. Spread the butter on the inside of hoagie rolls. Place the rolls in a casserole dish and put in the oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Place sauced meatballs in the toasted rolls. 3-5 meatballs per sandwich depending on size of the roll.
- Top each sandwich with cheese. Put the casserole dish back in the oven and broil until cheese melts, about 2-3 minutes.
- If using shredded cheese, you will need 1 1/2 cups.