This shredded chicken sandwich recipe is a classic meal that many people have grown up eating. Chicken combined with creamy soup and crushed crackers or potato chips come together to make one tasty sandwich.
If you are from Ohio, you might be familiar with these shredded chicken sandwiches. It’s a traditional recipe that is served at family gatherings, drive-in’s and I have even heard some fast food restaurants in the state serve them.
This is a recipe we make for simple dinners or for family functions. It makes 6-8 sandwiches and you can easily double the recipe for a larger crowd. There are several versions of this recipe but my family loves using potato chips, instead of crackers or bread crumbs as the filler.
What you need
Chicken – You will need cooked, shredded chicken. It can be cooked in the slow cooker or you could use pre-cooked chicken like rotisserie chicken.
Cream of chicken soup – You can substitute with cream of mushroom or cream of celery if you prefer.
Potato chips – I like using wavy potato chips but you could also use your favorite. I even like using sour cream and onion chips for a little extra flavor.
Some people prefer crushed crackers like Saltines, Ritz or Tollhouse. I even know people who use dried stuffing mix. These ingredients are used as a filler and to add a little bulk to the mixture. You will need 1 1/2 cups of your favorite filler.
Chicken Broth – Use a little broth to help thin out the mixture. If you would like it a little more “sloppy”, add 1 cup instead of 1/2 to the mixture.
Seasonings – Poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
How to make shredded chicken sandwiches
- Combine: Mix together cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Stir in cooked, shredded chicken and crushed potato chips or crackers.
- Cook: Cover and cook for 1 hour on high or 2-3 hours on low.
- Serve: Serve hot on hamburger bun or sandwich roll. You can add pickles or even a sprinkle of crushed chips or crackers to the sandwich
Cooking chicken in the slow cooker
You can use pre-cooked chicken like rotisserie or cook the chicken right in the slow cooker before shredding. If you would like to use this method, add chicken to the slow cooker and 1 can of cream of chicken soup. Cook on high for 3 hours and then shred the chicken. Continue making according to recipe.
How to store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in saucepan on the stove for about 10 minutes.
- Want to add a little more flavor, try substituting crackers with sour cream and onion potato chips.
- The mixture can be made the day before and then heated in the slow cooker when ready to eat.
What to serve with chicken sandwiches
These are great on their own but here are a few ideas to serve with these delicious Ohio sandwiches:
- Potato chips
- Cut up vegetables like carrots, celery, or cucumbers.
- Cabbage slaw
- Cucumber salad
- Corn salad
- Pea salad
More easy chicken recipes
- Crockpot chicken spaghetti – Cheesy chicken spaghetti in the slow cooker.
- Crockpot chicken fajitas – Chicken, peppers, onions and spices perfect for fajitas.
- Air fryer chicken breast – Seasoned chicken breast cooked perfectly in the air fryer.
- Buffalo chicken wraps – Shredded buffalo chicken with vegetables, cheese and ranch.
- Air fryer drumsticks – Super easy, delicious crispy chicken legs.
Have you tried this traditional chicken recipe? I would love to hear your stories and your favorite way to make these sandwiches in the comments below.
Shredded Chicken Sandwich
- 3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded **See notes
- 1 10 1/2 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips or crackers
- Add cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Stir in cooked, shredded chicken and potato chips.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2-3 hours.
- Serve on hamburger buns.