Texas Ranch Water Drink Recipe
May 21, 2021, Updated May 17, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cool and refreshing, this Texas ranch water recipe is a delicious tequila cocktail for a hot summer day. Made with tequila, lime and Topo Chico, this three ingredient fizzy drink is sure to become a favorite.
This is the Best Ranch Water Recipe!
While we love our sweet, fruity summer drinks like this mango vodka cocktail or Malibu sunset, it’s also nice to have a go-to cool, crisp drink that is easy to make. This three ingredient tequila cocktail is just the thing to quench your thirst.
What is Ranch Water?
This cocktail is thought to have originated in West Texas as a summer drink for cattle ranchers. It’s kind of a light version of a margarita, just not as sweet. It’s now becoming a popular drink that bars and restaurants have started adding to their menus.
**One thing I do want to mention is this is not a sweet drink. If you prefer your drinks a little sweeter you can add 2 tablespoons of simple syrup or agave nectar.
Texas Ranch Water ingredients
- Ice – Not sure if this qualifies as an ingredient but it’s necessary to make this drink cold and refreshing.
- Topo Chico – This is a must. Topo Chico is a sparkling mineral water that is full of bubbles. You can typically find Topo Chico at the grocery store, Walmart, Target and even Amazon. If you are having a hard time finding it, you can substitute with your favorite sparkling water.
- Tequila – I would recommend using a clear tequila but feel free to use your favorite. Try using a medium priced, good tequila since it’s the star of the drink.
- Lime juice – I recommend using fresh lime juice for the best tasting drink.
- Optional – If you want to get fancy, try riming the glass with lime juice and then margarita salt or a little chili salt.
- Glass – My favorite choice for this drink is a high ball or Collins glass but use whatever you have on hand.
Best Tequila for Ranch Water
You can use your favorite tequila for this drink. I would recommend using a high quality, blanco or silver tequila.
How to make Ranch Water Cocktail Recipe
Feel free to customize the quantities in this recipe to personal preference. This is just a good base recipe to start with.
- Pour lime juice and tequila in a glass and give it a stir. I like adding the liquid in first so you can combine them before topping with the mineral water.
- Add ice to the glass and fill to the top.
- Top with Topo Chico and add slice of lime for garnish.
Ranch Water Cocktail Recipe Tips
Make sure the Topo Chico is cold before making. This helps to achieve the ultimate chilled beverage.
If possible use fresh lime juice. Since there are so few ingredients, you want to make sure you are using quality.
This can be made into a big batch drink for a party. Just multiply the ingredients by the amount of drinks you will need. If I am making this for multiple people, I like to pour the tequila and lime juice in a pitcher and then when ready to serve, top off the glasses with sparkling water.
Ranch Water Drink Recipe Variations
Spicy Ranch Water: If you want to add a little heat to your cocktail, add 1-2 slices of sliced jalapeno. You can muddle it in the glass before you add the ice if you want to make it extra spicy or just add a slice to the drink for a milder heat.
Grapefruit Ranch Water: This delicious variation can be made by replacing the lime juice with grapefruit juice.
Ranch Water with Vodka: Simply substitute the tequila with vodka.
Cadillac Ranch Water: Add a splash of Grand Marnier liquor into the drink.
How to serve this Ranch Water Drink
Try serving ranch water with things like chips and salsa, guacamole, nachos, and more.
How to store Texas Ranch Water
Ranch water is best served immediately after making. Once it sits, the carbonation will go away. If making for a party, you can combine the ingredients in a pitcher and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve but it won’t last longer than one day.
Ranch Water Recipe FAQs
This cocktail is made with tequila.
Since ranch water uses carbonated water it can be compared to White Claw.
The name is thought to have come from a drink popular with Texas cattle ranchers.
More Easy Cocktail Recipes
If you made this cocktail, be sure to let me know how it turned out in the comments.
Ranch Water Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- 3 oz tequila
- 2-4 oz Top Chico Depends on size of glass
- Pour in tequila and lime juice. Give it a gentle stir.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Top with Topo Chico. Optional garnish with lime wedge.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.