This wedge salad can be easily made for the perfect side dish or appetizer. Iceberg lettuce topped with creamy, homemade Thousand Island dressing.
This post has been updated April 29, 2019.
My husband, Jay, is not crazy about salads. He does, however, enjoy a wedge salad. Basically a chunk of iceberg lettuce and dressing. Can you even call that a salad? Typically they are served with ranch or blue cheese dressing but this time I decided to change it up and use Thousand Island.
Why this recipe works
- The Thousand Island dressing adds so much flavor. It would also be an AMAZING special sauce for a cheeseburger. It reminds me of In-and-Out Burger sauce.
- This crunchy and creamy salad makes the perfect side dish or add some crumbled bacon for a meal.
- Line up wedges on a platter for a party appetizer.
How do you cut a wedge for a salad?
- Rinse the head of lettuce, pat dry and then remove any wilted leaves.
- Cut the lettuce in quarters (cutting from top to bottom).
Does Iceberg lettuce need to be washed?
Iceberg lettuce usually doesn’t contain much dirt but it is still a good idea to rinse it off before eating.
Why is it called Thousand Island Dressing?
The story goes that it is named after where the recipe originated, Thousand Islands, New York. A fishing guides wife made it as part of his shore dinner. An actress, May Irwin, then requested the recipe and then after passing it along to friends it ended up being served at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.
How to make a Wedge Salad
- Step one: Start by making the Thousand Island dressing for the salad. Stir together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, ketchup, pickle relish, water and black pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
- Step two: Cut the lettuce into four wedges.
- Place each wedge onto a plate and drizzle with dressing and then finish with cracked black pepper.
How do you keep lettuce fresh after cutting?
If you need to cut lettuce ahead of time, place wedges in a large bowl and cover them with a paper towel. This helps keep moisture off the leaves. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What to serve with wedge salad
A classic pairing is nice steak and potatoes like these delicious air fryer roasted potatoes.
I also love it with chicken or even fish.
More Salad Recipes You Might Enjoy
Easy Wedge Salad with Thousand Island Dressing
If you want to “beef” up this dish a little, add some crumbled bacon, diced green onion, diced hard boiled eggs or even cheese.
** Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a star rating below.
Lettuce Wedges with Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons bottled sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce cored and cut into 4 wedges per head
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, ketchup, pickle relish, water, and pepper.
- Spoon the dressing over the lettuce wedges.
My husband loves wedge salads as well. I’m with you though, can you really call that a “salad”?????
I’ll have to try this dressing.
If it includes lettuce, technically it’s a salad right? 🙂
“Can you even call that a salad” haha I was just coming to comment on that! Let’s face it, the iceberg lettuce is just a more “appropriate” way to get the dressing into your mouth rather than just using a spoon 🙂 love it! And as long as you’re mentioning in-n-out, the dressing would also be fabulous on fries!
OMG I never thought about it for fries!! Yes, no one cares about the lettuce, thought I could pretend to be healthy 🙂