Classic Egg Salad Recipe
Jan 09, 2019, Updated May 08, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This classic egg salad recipe is filled with fresh herbs, mayonnaise, and hard boiled eggs. Serve this egg salad on greens or as a sandwich for a delicious, simple meal.
You will love this Easy Egg Salad Recipe
There are so many things to love about this creamy, easy egg salad recipe.
- Protein – It’s a great way to get protein in a quick and easy meal.
- Simple – Just a few simple ingredients are needed to make this recipe.
- Delicious – Full of flavor and easy to modify to your taste.
Simple egg salad ingredients
- Eggs – I like using organic eggs but feel free to use the eggs you have on hand. It’s also a great recipe to use leftover eggs.
- Mayonnaise – Use your favorite mayonnaise. You could also substitute with plain Greek yogurt.
- Onions – Finely diced onion. You can use an onion of your choice like red onion, white onion, or even green onions.
- Mustard – Dijon mustard adds a little tang and flavor.
- Celery seed – This secret ingredient sets this egg salad apart from others.
- Fresh dill – Fresh dill really adds delicious flavor. If you don’t have fresh, substitute with 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill.
- Salt and ground black pepper
How to hard boil an egg for a Simple Egg Salad
Start by preparing the hard boiled eggs. There are several ways to hard boil an egg. I typically either boil them and then put them in cold water or prepare them in a pressure cooker.
How to boil hard boiled eggs:
- Place the eggs in a pot of cold water and then heat on the stove. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot and then remove the pot from the heat. Let sit for 12 minutes.
- Gently place the eggs in a bowl of ice water and let them sit for 10 minutes. Remove the shell off of the eggs.
How to hard boil eggs in the pressure cooker:
I have found this method to be very easy and a great way to get the perfect hard boiled egg.
- Pour 1 cup of water in the pressure cooker. Place the eggs on top of a rack inside the cooker.
- Pressure cook for 7 minutes and then manually release the pressure.
- Carefully remove the eggs and place in ice water bath for 7 minutes. Peel the eggs.
How do you make Egg Salad?
Step one: Now that the eggs are boiled, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, dill, onion, celery seed, salt, and ground black pepper.
Step two: Chop the eggs and stir in with mayonnaise mixture. Serve or store in covered in the refrigerator.
Recipe substitutions and additions
This recipe is easily customizable.
Mayonnaise – You can use your favorite mayo or substitute with plain Greek yogurt.
Fresh herbs – Feel free to add other fresh herbs like chopped fresh parsley or fresh chives.
Pickles – Want to add a little extra flavor? Try adding in chopped dill pickles, or pickle relish.
Avocado – Make an avocado egg salad by adding in mashed avocado to the mayonnaise mixture.
How to serve this simple egg salad recipe
Serve this creamy salad on its own, over greens, as an egg salad sandwich, in a lettuce wrap or in a tortilla wrap.
How to store leftovers
Store: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This recipe doesn’t freeze well.
Classic egg salad FAQ’s
Chopped eggs are typically what is used for classic egg salad. You can use a sharp knife or egg slicer to chop them.
You will want to bring the water and eggs to a boil and then remove from heat and cover. Let the eggs sit covered for 12 minutes to cook them.
More salad recipes
Easy Egg Salad
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt salt
- ground black pepper
- Hard boil eggs. On Stove: Place eggs in a pot of cold water and place on stove. Bring water to a boil, cover the pot and then remove from heat. Let sit for 12 minutes. Gently place eggs in a bowl of ice water and let them sit for 5-10 minutes. Remove and peel off shell.
- Pressure Cooker: Pour 1 cup water in the pressure cooker. Place eggs on top of rack inside the cooker. Pressure cook for 7 minutes and then manually release pressure. Carefully remove eggs and place in ice water for 7 minutes. Peel.
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, mustard, onion, celery seed, dill, salt and pepper.
- Chop eggs and add into mayonnaise mixture.
- Serve on lettuce or on favorite bread.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.