Sweet Potato Fries
Jun 22, 2018, Updated Nov 17, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet potato fries are easy to make at home using only a few simple ingredients. With tips from Atlanta based Food Network Star, these fries will be something your friends and family will be asking for again and again!
How to make sweet potato fries:
Now it’s time for these tasty sweet potato fries. Chef Tregaye walked us through three of her favorite dishes including black bean burgers, chicken bites topped with guacamole and sweet potato fries.
Chef Tregaye demonstrated her chopping technique along with how she uses the Whirlpool smart oven technology to bake the potatoes. The Whirlpool oven in this smart home can be controlled by touch screen, voice command or an app on your cell phone. How cool is that?! She asked Amazon Echo to turn the oven on to 400 degrees F and voila, it turned on.
Chef Tregaye’s Tips:
- To help your fresh herbs last longer, dampen a paper towel and wrap around herbs. Store in a sealed bag in the refrigerator. I used this to keep my parsley nice and fresh.
- Toast your spices! This helps bring out the flavor of the spices. Place them in a pan on low for 1-2 minutes before using. I toasted the chili spice for just a minutes before sprinkling on the fries.
- Use Himalayan sea salt. Chef Tregaye said she uses this salt for everything, even baking.
- Make sure you use a sharp knife. This makes a big difference when cutting the sweet potatoes into strips.
- Spread out the fries on the pan and avoid over crowding. This helps them become crispy on the outside.
To make the baked sweet potato fries, cut off the ends of each sweet potato and peel off the skin with either a sharp knife or vegetable peeler. Cut into thin strips or your desired fry thickness. I like mine a little on the thinner side so that they get crispy on the outside.
Place them in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and then season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Give them a good toss to make sure they are coated. Arrange the fries on a pan and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, flipping them over after 15 minutes.
Finish them with a little sprinkle of fresh, chopped parsley. I served mine with a dipping sauce made with mayonnaise and ketchup.
Let me know how you like these sweet potato fries and what smart features you would love to have in a home.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt or course salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into strips. Place fries into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and chili powder. Toss to make sure all the fries are coated.
- Spread fries on a baking sheet making sure not to crowd the pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Flip fries over half way through cooking.
- Sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley for garnish.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.