Make your own copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch at home with just a few easy ingredients. They can be made in under 30 minutes and are perfect for a quick, delicious dinner.
No need to visit your local Taco bell, make your own at home in minutes.
Why you will enjoy this recipe
- Quick and easy – This copycat recipe can be made in under 30 minutes.
- Delicious – These gorditas are even better than the Taco Bell version and you can control the ingredients.
- Copycat Taco Bell – If you love Taco Bell, be sure to also try this copycat Taco Bell nacho cheese dip and Taco Bell chicken quesadilla.
Flour tortillas – I recommend using the fajita size tortilla for the outer shell. It works well with the size of the crispy taco shells. You can also use a taco size but might need to cut them down to fit the hard shell taco. If you don’t have tortillas, a soft piece of flatbread works well too.
Crunchy taco shell – These can typically be found in a box in the international aisle of the grocery store. They add a wonderful crunch to this cheesy gordita crunch recipe.
Cheese – Shredded cheese is needed for this recipe. Use your favorite like a Mexican cheese blend, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack, Cheddar cheese, or even Pepper Jack.
Seasoning – For this recipe we used a packet of taco seasoning, feel free to use homemade seasoning mix.
Toppings – Top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, lettuce, salsa, jalapeno peppers or this delicious copycat Taco Bell quesadilla sauce.
How to make a cheesy gordita crunch
Step one: Brown ground meat until cooked through. Add in a splash of water and stir in seasonings.
Step two: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake crispy taco shells for 2-3 minutes to warm.
Step three: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Lay soft tortillas out. (Might take two baking sheets depending on how many you are making.)
Step four: Top with a layer of shredded cheese. Place baking sheets in the oven and melt the cheese for 3-5 minutes.
Step five: Carefully remove from oven. Place the warmed crunchy shell on top of the melted cheese. Fold the soft shell over.
Step six: Fill with meat and favorite toppings. Enjoy warm!
- I recommend using freshly shredded cheese. It melts really well. Prepackaged shredded cheese will work but the freshly shredded adds a layer of deliciousness.
- Don’t add too much cheese on top of the soft tortillas.
- If you don’t like seasoning packets, you can make your own taco seasoning blend. You can also mix the ground beef with a 1/2 cup of salsa to add flavor.
- Making for a crowd, this recipe can be easily doubled.
Meatless – These can be made meatless by substituting with black beans, refried beans, pinto beans, or a vegan ground beef substitute.
How to store
Store any leftover meat in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I recommend making the shells when you are ready to serve them.
What to serve with gorditas
More copycat recipes
- Copycat McDonald’s Steak And Egg Bagel
- Copycat Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi
- Copycat Arby’s Chicken Salad
Cheesy Gordita Crunch
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 4 tablespoons water
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 6 crunchy taco shells
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese Mexican blend, Colby Jack, or your favorite melty cheese.
- lettuce, sour cream, salsa optional toppings
- Brown ground meat until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add in water and stir in seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place crispy taco shells on a baking sheet. Bake crispy taco shells for 2-3 minutes to warm.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Lay soft tortillas out. (Might take two baking sheets depending on how many you are making.)
- Top with a layer of shredded cheese. Place baking sheets in the oven and melt the cheese for 3-5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven. Place the warmed crunchy shell on top of the melted cheese. Fold the soft shell over.
- Fill with meat and favorite toppings. Enjoy warm!