Arby’s chicken salad is a creamy, delicious sandwich that is on the Arby’s menu at select locations. You can make your own copycat version at home with just a few simple ingredients.
Fast food doesn’t have to be all burgers and fries. Don’t get me wrong, I love a delicious Arby’s roast beef sandwich with horsey sauce and a side of curly fries but sometimes it’s nice to be able to order something more fresh like the Arby’s pecan chicken salad sandwich.
Grilled chicken breast – You can use grilled chicken or any leftover chicken you might have.
Grapes – Red or green seedless grapes will work for this recipe.
Apples – I prefer using red apples because they are sweet. You could substitute with Granny Smith apples if you would like to add a hint of tart flavor.
Celery – Diced celery adds a nice crunch.
Pecans – Use chopped pecans for this recipe. They do not have to be toasted. You can substitute with chopped walnuts or sliced almonds.
Mayonnaise – For full flavor, use regular mayonnaise. You can substitute with light mayo or Greek yogurt if needed.
Lemon juice – One tablespoon of lemon juice helps to prevent the apples from browning.
Celery salt – This is an optional ingredient. I think it adds a little extra spice to the chicken salad.
Salt and pepper – Season to taste.
Lettuce – Used for the sandwich. Butter lettuce, Romaine lettuce, or green leaf lettuce work well.
Bread – Whole wheat sandwich or honey wheat bread slices.
How to make Arbys Chicken Salad Sandwich
This recipe is very versatile, feel free to add different amounts of the ingredients to suit your taste.
Step one: Place diced apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to coat the apples. This prevents them from browning.
Step two: Add diced chicken, grapes, celery, pecans, mayonnaise, celery salt, salt, and pepper.
Step three: Stir the ingredients together until coated with mayonnaise. Place lettuce leaves on a piece of bread. Top with the chicken salad and then top with another piece of bread.
- This recipe works with diced or shredded chicken.
- Want to add extra flavor? Try toasting the chopped pecans in the oven at 325 for 5 minutes.
- Like a creamier chicken salad? Add an extra 1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise.
- Try to dice everything into small pieces to make the salad easier to eat.
- Arby’s serves their chicken salad on wheat bread but you can substitute with a hearty white bread, bagel, or croissant.
How to serve
Chicken salad is perfect for a sandwich but you could also serve it in a lettuce wrap, a tortilla, or on a salad.
How to store leftovers
Store any chicken salad leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last 3-4 days.
Want to put your leftovers in the freezer? Read all of these great tips for how to freeze chicken salad.
Fruits – Try adding dried cranberries or raisins. You can even mix in some diced avocado for extra creaminess.
Protein – You can substitute the chicken with turkey, diced ham, or even chopped boiled eggs.
More easy chicken recipes
- 28 Instant Pot chicken recipes
- Wendy’s apple pecan chicken salad
- Copycat Taco Bell chicken quesadilla
- Wingstop Louisiana chicken wing rub
Arby’s Chicken Salad
- 1 cup diced chicken or shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup diced apples
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For a sandwich
- 2-4 lettuce leaves
- 4 pieces whole wheat bread
- Place diced apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to coat the apples.
- Place chicken, grapes, celery, mayonnaise, celery seeds, salt, and pepper in the bowl. Mix to combine.
- To make a sandwich, place a piece of lettuce on a piece of whole wheat bread.
- Spoon half of the chicken salad mixture on top of lettuce and place another piece of bread on top.
My husband said this is the best chicken salad he’s ever tasted!