Congo Squares are cookie bars filled with chocolate chips. They are soft, chewy and a staple dessert in our family.
Congo squares go waaaaaaay back in my family. My sweet Nana passed this recipe down to me when I first started cooking. She got the recipe from her mother and it is now one of my favorite dessert recipes!
How to make Congo Squares
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray.
- To make the batter, cream together brown sugar and softened butter. Mix in eggs.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until combined.
- Using a spatula, stir in chocolate chips. Pour the batter into your pan and bake.
What is a Congo Square?
- They are actually a version of a blondie. Popular in the southeast, they are like a brownie without the cocoa. I also call them chocolate chip cookie bars.
- Some contain coconut or nuts, but Nana’s version has just chocolate chips.
Tips for making these chocolate chip bars
- Let your butter soften before baking. I usually place mine out on the counter an hour before I am going to bake.
- Be careful not to over bake these cookie bars.
If you want to get real crazy, serve these congo squares warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Enjoy ~ Heather
More Cookies You Might Enjoy
- German Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Oreo Cookies
- Chewy Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- Cherry Bon Bon Cookies
- Oatmeal Fudge Bars
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 (12oz) bag
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- With an electric mixer, mix together brown sugar and butter until creamy.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture in with sugar mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Be sure not to over bake.