This Apple dump cake is out of this world! Packed with flavor, warm apples and a cinnamon sugar topping. This dessert will fill your house with the smell of the season.
I love fall food and this dump cake is no exception! The smell of apples and cinnamon really makes you think of fall. More of my favorite fall recipes include: Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups, Pumpkin Bars and Apple Nut Blondies.
- Apple Pie Filling– You can use a can of apple pie filling or make your own easy homemade apple pie filling.
- Butter Pecan Cake Mix– I love the spices and flavor in this cake mix. You could substitute with a different cake mix like Spice Cake Mix or Yellow Cake Mix.
- Butter – Unsalted, sweet cream butter.
- Cinnamon and Sugar– This adds an extra cinnamon punch to this cake. You could even add a pinch of apple pie spice.
How to make easy apple dump cake
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe and ingredients.
Dump cakes are so easy to make! All you need is a fruit filling, butter and cake mix. They are similar to a cobbler and much easier to assemble than a pie. You can use this same easy recipe and substitute peach pie filling, cherry pie filling, etc.
- Filling: Start by spreading 2 cans of apple pie filling in the bottom of a casserole dish. Make sure to evenly distribute the filling.
- Topping: Next, sprinkle cake mix over the apples and then top with slices of unsalted butter.
- The last step is to sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the cake. Feel free to leave this step out but I like the extra cinnamon flavor it adds to the cake.
- Bake: Bake the dump cake at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make sure to preheat the oven before you bake.
- Toppings: Try this dessert with a scoop of vanilla or butter pecan ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, drizzle of caramel syrup and chopped nuts.
- I would recommend serving this just after it’s finished baking.
How to store
Store: Let everything completely cool and then cover the baking dish with foil or place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can you make crockpot apple dump cake?
Yes! Spray the bottom of crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in apple filling and then top with cake mix and butter. Place on the cover and cook on high for 2 hours. This is great for a party.
More easy desserts
- Berry Cornmeal Sheet Cake – This sheet cake is slightly sweet and filled with fresh berries.
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies – Made with a cake mix, these cookies are delicious.
- Brownie Mix Cookies – Chewy and fudgy, you won’t believe how easy they are to make.
- Cake mix brownies – Make delicious brownies with a cake mix.
- Peach Dump Cake – Similar to this recipe, with peaches.
**If you enjoy this recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating below.
Apple Dump Cake
- 2 21 oz cans apple pie filling
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 1 cup butter, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9 x 11 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread apple pie filling in the baking dish.
- Top with cake mix.
- Top with sliced butter, covering the whole cake.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake at for approximately 45-50 minutes. Serve warm.
Terri A Steffes
I love that buttery crispy crust on the top and then getting some of the apple syrup in that first warm bite…
I’ve never had an apple dump cake before.Would love to try your recipe. It def looks delicious.
Yum! This is the best apple dump cake I’ve tried! Loved it so much!
Just looking at this makes me drool all over! This Apple Dump Cake looks really mouth watering!
Nancy at Whispered Inspirations
OMG, this looks amazing and I love how easy it is. I’m going to make this tomorrow!
I’m so making this, it looks so yummy and I’m going to be topping mine with butter pecan ice cream. Thanks for the recipe
Jenn @ EngineerMommy
I love a cake like this that’s so easy to prepare. With apple season in full swing, this is such a perfect recipe. Need to try!
This apple dump cake was really quite simple but tasted amazing! My daughter made it by herself and the family ate it all up for dessert!
Jennifer Van Haitsma
Yum this looks so good! My kids love trying new sweet things so we’ll have to give this a try.
I’ll be honest anything apple in a dessert is something I want to try! This sounds like it would be absolutely incredible and I have to admit I don’t think I’ve ever tried dump cake.
I make these all the time and substitute different fruits for the apples and different cake mixes. They’re a great way to use fruit!
Dump cake sounds funny but it looks like a great way to enjoy apple and cinnamon. I will have to try this recipe when the apples start coming in season in late summer.