This Apple dump cake is out of this world! Packed with flavor, warm apples and a cinnamon sugar topping. This dessert will fill your house with the smell of the season.
I love fall food and this dump cake is no exception! The smell of apples and cinnamon really makes you think of fall. More of my favorite fall recipes include: Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups, Pumpkin Bars and Apple Nut Blondies.
- Apple Pie Filling– You can use canned apple pie mix or make your own easy homemade apple pie filling.
- Butter Pecan Cake Mix– I love the spices and flavor in this cake mix. You could substitute with Spice Cake Mix or Yellow Cake Mix.
- Butter – Unsalted, sweet cream butter.
- Cinnamon and Sugar– This adds an extra cinnamon punch to this cake.
How to make apple dump cake
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe and ingredients.
Dump cakes are so easy to make! All you need is a fruit filling, butter and cake mix. They are similar to a cobbler and much easier to assemble than a pie. You can use this same recipe and substitute peach pie filling, cherry pie filling, etc.
- Filling: Start by spreading 2 cans of apple pie filling in the bottom of a casserole dish. Make sure to evenly distribute the filling.
- Topping: Next, sprinkle cake mix over the apples and then top with slices of butter.
- The last step is to sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the cake. Feel free to leave this step out but I like the extra cinnamon flavor it adds to the cake.
- Bake: Bake the dump cake at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Make sure to preheat the oven before you bake.
- Toppings: Try this dessert with vanilla or butter pecan ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream and chopped nuts.
- I would recommend serving this just after it’s finished baking.
How to store
Store: Let everything completely cool and then cover the baking dish with foil or place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can you make crockpot apple dump cake?
Yes! Spray the bottom of crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in apple filling and then top with cake mix and butter. Place on the cover and cook on high for 2 hours. This is great for a party.
More easy desserts
- Berry Cornmeal Sheet Cake – This sheet cake is slightly sweet and filled with fresh berries.
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies – Made with a cake mix, these cookies are delicious.
- Brownie Mix Cookies – Chewy and fudgy, you won’t believe how easy they are to make.
- Cake mix brownies – Make delicious brownies with a cake mix.
- Peach Dump Cake – Similar to this recipe, with peaches.
**If you enjoy this recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating below.
Apple Dump Cake
- 2 21 oz cans apple pie filling
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 1 cup butter, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9 x 11 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread apple pie filling in the baking dish.
- Top with cake mix.
- Top with sliced butter, covering the whole cake.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake at for approximately 45-50 minutes. Serve warm.