Cornmeal Berry Sheet Cake is a great way to use fresh berries this summer. A subtly sweet cake with a delicious cornmeal texture. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream for an amazing summer dessert.
I love desserts that call for berries like this blueberry lemon pie and this cranberry cherry dump cake. Berries add so much color and flavor to these recipes.
Why this recipe works
- The combination of sweet and a little savory really works.
- The addition of cornmeal gives this sheet cake a unique texture.
- The added sprinkle of sugar on top makes a delicious crust on the top of the cake.
What you need
Cornmeal – I use yellow, fine ground cornmeal.
Sugar – I use Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar.
Berries – For this recipe I used raspberries and blueberries.
Eggs, Milk, Sour Cream, Vanilla Extract, All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
How to make
- Cream: Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs.
- Mix: Mix in vanilla, sour cream and milk.
- Whisk: In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Combine: Combine flour mixture and butter mixture.
- Spread: Spread the batter in a lined 9 x 13 baking sheet. Add berries on top and then sprinkle sugar.
- Bake: Bake until golden brown.
This recipe calls for raspberries and blueberries but you can use your favorite fruit. Here are a few combinations to try:
- Strawberries and blueberries
- Peaches and raspberries
- Blackberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Try serving this with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Check out these 12 cornmeal substitutes if you are looking for a cornmeal alternative.
This cake is always a huge hit, especially at BBQ’s and summer gatherings.
I am sharing the recipe over at Dixie Crystals.
For the full, printable recipe, click on Cornmeal Berry Sheet Cake.
More cake recipes to enjoy
- Butterfinger Poke Cake – Cake filled with caramel and topped with crushed Butterfingers.
- Apricot Nectar Cake – One of our favorites. This bundt cake is always a winner.
- Orange Poke Cake – A perfect poke cake for summer.
- Pineapple Cake – Cake filled with crushed pineapple.
- 7-Up Cake – The secret ingredient, you guessed it, 7-Up!
**I have an ongoing relationship with Dixie Crystals for recipe development. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Leave a Reply