Cornmeal Berry Sheet Cake
Apr 29, 2020, Updated Jun 03, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cornmeal Berry Sheet Cake is a great way to use fresh berries this summer. A subtly sweet cake with a delicious cornmeal texture. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream for an amazing summer dessert.
Why this recipe works
- The combination of sweet and a little savory really works.
- The addition of cornmeal gives this sheet cake a unique texture.
- The added sprinkle of sugar on top makes a delicious crust on the top of the cake.
What you need
Cornmeal – I use yellow, fine ground cornmeal.
Sugar – I use Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar.
Berries – For this recipe I used raspberries and blueberries.
Eggs, Milk, Sour Cream, Vanilla Extract, All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
How to make
- Cream: Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs.
- Mix: Mix in vanilla, sour cream and milk.
- Whisk: In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Combine: Combine flour mixture and butter mixture.
- Spread: Spread the batter in a lined 9 x 13 baking sheet. Add berries on top and then sprinkle sugar.
- Bake: Bake until golden brown.
This recipe calls for raspberries and blueberries but you can use your favorite fruit. Here are a few combinations to try:
- Strawberries and blueberries
- Peaches and raspberries
- Blackberries, blueberries and raspberries
- Try serving this with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Check out these 12 cornmeal substitutes if you are looking for a cornmeal alternative.
This cake is always a huge hit, especially at BBQ’s and summer gatherings.
I am sharing the recipe over at Dixie Crystals.
For the full, printable recipe, click on Cornmeal Berry Sheet Cake.
More cake recipes to enjoy
- Butterfinger Poke Cake – Cake filled with caramel and topped with crushed Butterfingers.
- Apricot Nectar Cake – One of our favorites. This bundt cake is always a winner.
- Orange Poke Cake – A perfect poke cake for summer.
- Pineapple Cake – Cake filled with crushed pineapple.
- 7-Up Cake – The secret ingredient, you guessed it, 7-Up!
**I have an ongoing relationship with Dixie Crystals for recipe development. I was compensated for my time to create this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are my own.