Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Aug 20, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These air fryer baked potatoes have the best crispy skin and are perfectly tender and fluffy in the middle. You will love how easy these are to make and if you love crispy potato skin, this is the method for you.
We have had an air fryer for over a year now and it’s probably my favorite kitchen appliance. There are so many things you can cook in it and it doesn’t heat up the kitchen like an oven does.
Why this recipe works
- No need to turn the oven on or preheat.
- Set and forget.
- Crispy skin! Seriously, these baked potatoes have the crispiest skin compared to any other cooking method.
How long to bake a potato in air fryer
Each air fryer is a little different so times may slightly vary. For a small to medium size potato it will take approximately 40 minutes. A larger potato could take up to 50 minutes. Time will depend on the machine and size of potato.
How to cook baked potatoes in the air fryer
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Clean: Scrub potatoes clean and pat dry.
- Season: Rub potato skins with oil and season salt, pepper and garlic powder. Poke holes with a fork or knife in each potato.
- Cook: Place potatoes in air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Check to see if they are done cooking. If not continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F.
- Serve: Cut the potato down the middle and fluff with a fork. Add your favorite toppings and serve.
- I recommend using russet potatoes for this recipe. Try to make sure they are similar in size for even cooking.
- Be sure to clean the potato well AND dry it before cooking. For crispy skin, you want a dry potato.
- Make sure to poke holes in the potatoes before cooking. This allows steam to escape.
- Want a little extra seasoning? Try rubbing with this french fry seasoning.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Mine will fit 4 potatoes. Just make sure they are not on top of each other.
- You will know the potato is perfect when the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F.
Air fryer baked potato topping ideas
These baked potatoes are delicious with just a little salt, pepper and touch of butter but it’s fun to get creative with other tasty toppings. Here are a few of our other favorite ways to top these potatoes.
- Cheese: Choose your favorite like shredded cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack, mozzarella and even blue cheese.
- Bacon: Cooked bacon, chopped into bits.
- Sour cream: Adds creaminess.
- Chili: Ladle chili over the potato for a full meal.
How to store
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container or wrapped in foil. They will last for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave, oven or air fryer.
More easy air fryer recipes
- Air fryer spaghetti squash – An fast and easy way to make spaghetti squash.
- Air fryer vegetables – Lightly seasoned, cooked vegetables.
- Air fryer broccoli – Roasted broccoli.
- Air fryer mushrooms – These mushrooms make a great side dish.
- Air fryer apple chips – Thinly sliced apples with cinnamon crisped up in the air fryer.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- Clean and dry potatoes. Poke them with holes using a fork or knife.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place potatoes in air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 35 minutes. Check the potatoes and if not done cook another 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F.
- Remove from air fryer and serve warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.