Stove Top Stuffing In The Oven
Sep 02, 2022, Updated Sep 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Learn how to make stove top stuffing in the oven with just a few simple ingredients. This stuffing recipe is a great addition to any holiday table or for an easy dinner.
Today we are sharing how to make Stove Top stuffing better by adding a few extra ingredients and baking it in the oven. This recipe can be made in less than one hour and is a classic side dish that the whole family will love.
Not just for Thanksgiving dinner, this is a great recipe that can be made ahead of time for an easy side during the week.
Stuffing mix – I am using Stove Top stuffing mix for this recipe but feel free to use your favorite brand like Pepperidge Farm. Also note, I am using chicken but turkey stuffing, cornbread, herbs, or any other flavor.
Butter – Unsalted butter or substitute with olive oil.
Chicken broth – You can use chicken broth or chicken stock for this recipe. Also feel free to substitute with vegetable broth.
Celery – 3-4 stalks of celery, diced. You can also leave out the celery if you prefer.
Onion – Make sure to dice onion into small pieces.
Poultry seasoning – This adds extra flavor and seasoning to the dish.
How to make Stove Top stuffing in the oven
Step one: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in diced celery and onion. Saute onions and celery for 4-5 minutes or until it starts to soften.
Step two: Stir in poultry seasoning, stuffing mix, and chicken broth. Stir to combine. (If your skillet isn’t large enough you can combine everything in a large bowl.)
Step three: Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place stuffing mixture into the dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- If you prefer a softer, more moist stuffing, you can cover the baking dish with foil while in the oven. If you like a crisper top, leave it uncovered while baking.
- You can use this recipe to stuff a turkey or chicken. Prepare the recipe as written and then instead of baking in a dish, stuff inside the turkey cavity.
You can make this super simple recipe your own by adding some of these extra ingredients.
Butter – If you don’t like butter, replace with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Protein – Try adding in 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken, ground beef or browned crumbled sausage into the stuffing mix.
Fruit – For a little sweetness, try adding in some diced apples or dried cranberries.
Vegetables – Want to add some extra veggies? Try adding some chopped mushrooms and or bell pepper with the onion and celery.
Seasonings – Like a little spice? Stir in a pinch of cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning blend, or ground black pepper to the mix.
How to store
Store: Make sure to let the stuffing completely cool. Place in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator until ready to reheat and serve.
Freeze: This also is a good recipe to freeze. Let it cool and then place in a freezer safe container. It will last 4-6 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator and then warm in the oven or microwave.
Can this be made ahead of time?
Yes, this dish can be prepared up to 2 days before serving. Make sure to cover the baking dish and store in the refrigerator until ready to heat and serve.
What to serve with stuffing
This is such a great side dish for so many meals. Try pairing it with things like:
- Pork chops or pork tenderloin
- Roast turkey or turkey meatballs
- Use to top this chicken stuffing casserole.
More easy side dishes
A few of our other favorite holiday side dishes.
Did you make this stuffing recipe? Be sure to leave a comment.
Stove Top Stuffing In Oven
- 2 boxes stuffing mix
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in diced celery and onion. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until it starts to soften.
- Stir in poultry seasoning, stuffing mix, and chicken broth. Stir to combine. (If your skillet isn't large enough you can combine everything in a large bowl.)
- Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place stuffing mixture into the dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.