Sour Cream Beef and Noodle Bake
Jan 07, 2020, Updated Apr 27, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sour Cream Beef and Noodle Bake is the epitome of comfort food. Hearty ground beef with a sour cream and cottage cheese mixture with noodles.
Casseroles are so great for weeknight meals. Make once and have leftovers for the next night. Here are a few others to try: Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole, Fiesta Chicken Casserole and Supreme Pizza Casserole.
This ground beef noodle casserole is one of my family’s favorite meals. Hearty, delicious and makes wonderful leftovers.
Ground Beef – You could also use ground turkey for this recipe. I have even used ground Italian sausage.
Sour Cream – Feel free to use low-fat sour cream if you prefer.
Cottage Cheese – I like using the 2% small curd for this recipe.
Egg Noodles – The texture and shape of egg noodles works well with this recipe.
Shredded Cheese – I used colby/Monterey jack cheese but cheddar cheese would work well.
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
HOW TO MAKE SOUR CREAM BEEF AND NOODLE BAKE
Scroll down for full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef over medium heat. Drain excess grease.
- Add sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Cook egg noodles according to package and drain.
- Stir together sour cream, cottage cheese, green onion and black pepper. Stir in noodles.
- Layer noodle mixture, beef mixture and then shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
RECIPE TIPS AND VARIATIONS
- Beef – I typically use ground sirloin but you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken. I have even made this substituting diced zucchini and mushrooms for the beef.
- Cheese – I like to use Colby/Monterey Jack blend but cheddar is also wonderful.
- Onion – If you don’t like green onion, feel free to leave it out.
CAN I FREEZE SOUR CREAM NOODLE BAKE?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole.
If you are freezing after you bake, let completely cool and then place in airtight, freezer safe container. You could also tightly wrap the whole casserole dish in plastic wrap and then foil. To thaw, place in refrigerator overnight.
You can also freeze this dish before baking. Once the casserole is assembled, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze. This can be freezed for 2 months.
Reheating – When reheating this noodle bake, make sure to keep it covered in foil while in the oven so the cheese does not burn.
MORE DINNER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – A hearty slow cooker meal, great for a cold night.
- Ravioli Lasagna – A super easy meal. This lazy lasagna can be made quickly with few ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice – Tasty dinner that makes great left overs.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos – Perfect for taco Tuesday!
*** If you have made this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to take a picture and tag @foodlovinfamily #foodlovinfamily on Instagram
Be sure to watch the video below for full recipe
Sour Cream and Beef Noodle Bake
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown beef in a skillet over medium heat. Once it's cooked, drain the excess grease.
- Stir in tomato sauce, salt, ground pepper and garlic powder. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook egg noodles according to package. Drain water.
- Stir sour cream, cottage cheese, green onions and black pepper in a bowl. Stir in cook noodles.
- Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray. Add half noodle mixture to the bottom of casserole dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Layer with half of the cheese. Layer again with noodle mixture, meat mixture and then shredded cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Beef - I typically use ground sirloin but you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken. I have even made this substituting diced zucchini and mushrooms for the beef.
- Cheese - I like to use Colby/Monterey Jack blend but cheddar is also wonderful.
- Onion - If you don't like green onion, feel free to leave it out.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.