Cherry bon bon cookies are a sweet bite of yum! Shortbread cookie wrapped around a cherry and topped with cherry frosting. These little cookies are always a big hit.
Wait a minute, it is almost February and we are fast approaching Valentine’s day!! Pretty sure Jay won’t be getting anything special except maybe these cute little cherry bon bon cookies. These cookies are the perfect little confection. Sugar cookie dough wrapped around a sweet maraschino cherry topped with a cherry frosting.
My mom would always make these for my sister and I around Valentine’s Day for a special treat. When she had her head turned I would sneak a few extra cherries. I am a huge cookie fan like these molasses ginger cookies and chewy cinnamon oatmeal cookies. These cherry bon bons are high on my cookie loving list.
Back to Valentine’s Day, now that we have kids we typically stay at home and celebrate. We try to do something fun with the kids and then after they go to bed have a “romantic dinner”. And by romantic I mean there is probably a few candles lit. 🙂 Jay usually makes a steak and twice baked potatoes and I take care of dessert. These cookies will definitely be part of the celebration.
To make these cookies, mix up the dough. It is a sugar cookie type dough that is delicious on it’s own. Take a pinch of dough and wrap it around a cherry making sure to cover the cherry so it is in the middle of the cookie. Roll to make a nice ball. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake for 15 minutes.
The reserved cherry juice makes the perfect frosting adding a wonderfully sweet taste and beautiful pink color. You can spoon the frosting over the cookies or pipe it on.
What will you be doing for Valentine’s Day? Do you go out or stay in?
Cherry Bon Bon Cookies
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup powder
- 1/4 cup cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain cherries and keep juice.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup powdered sugar with a mixer.
- Mix in flour, salt, milk and vanilla.
- Form small 1 inch ball with dough and form around cherry.
- Continue until all of the dough is gone. About 24 balls.
- Place cookies on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool cookies on wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix frosting ingredients. Once cookies are cooled, spread or pipe frosting on cookies.