Mouthwatering Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Recipe
Nov 03, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This slow cooker shredded beef recipe is flavorful, juicy, and so simple to make. Put it in your crockpot in the morning and come home to an amazing meal that can be used in a variety of ways.
Why you need to make the best shredded beef
- Taste: Bursting with flavor. Even though this recipe calls for just a few simple ingredients, it has so much flavor.
- Simple: This easy dinner can be made once and then used for a variety of meals throughout the week. If you like chicken be sure to try this shredded chicken recipe.
- Leftovers: Leftover beef is perfect for weekly meal prep.
- Protein: Great to use for low-carb friendly meals.
Ingredients for pulled beef recipe
- Chuck Roast – We are using a boneless chuck roast. Feel free to use bone-in.
- Onions – Yellow, white or sweet Vadalia onions are sliced and placed under the meat.
- Beef Stock – This adds rich, meaty flavor. You can substitute with beef broth.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Adds umami flavor to the dish.
- Italian Seasoning – Feel free to use your favorite seasoning but this gives the meat a wonderful taste.
- Garlic Powder –
- Salt and Pepper –
How to make shredded beef in slow cooker
Step one: Spread sliced onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chuck roast on top of the onions.
Step two: Poke a few holes with a fork in the top of the beef roast. Pour Worcestershire sauce and beef stock over the beef.
Step three: Rub spice mixture over the beef roast. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
Step four: If the roast is tender, shred the beef with 2 forks. Serve warm.
How do you know when the roast is done cooking?
This roast does well cooking low and slow. I recommend cooking for 8 hours. The meat should be tender enough to pull apart and shred. If it’s not, try cooking for another hour.
What cut of meat is best for shredding?
Chuck roast is known to be one of the best cuts of meat for shredding because it’s super tender. You might also find it labeled as chuck eye roast or shoulder roast.
Tips and variations
- If you would like to have leftovers to eat through the week, use a 4-5 pound roast or 2, 2 pound roasts.
- You don’t need to sear the meat before putting in the crock pot.
- It’s best to cook on low if you have the time. This will give you the most juicy, tender beef.
- Variations – Try changing up the spices for different flavors. You can use taco seasoning, steak seasoning, ranch seasoning, or just simple salt and pepper.
What to serve with shredded beef?
Some delicious side dishes for pulled beef are things like:
- Over noodles – Try serving over your favorite pasta like these buttered noodles.
- Over mashed potatoes – This beef is perfect over creamy mashed potatoes.
- With vegetables – Serve with your favorite veggies like broccoli or cauliflower.
- On sandwiches – Place shredded beef on a bun with melted cheese. Spoon out some of the leftover juices for a dipping au jus.
You can use this flavorful beef for meals like:
- Beef tacos – Add to hard shell or soft shell tacos with your favorite toppings.
- Rice bowl – This is the perfect protein to add to a rice bowl.
- Nachos – Place shredded beef over chips and top with cheese. Pop in the oven for 5 minutes and enjoy!
- Beef burritos – Wrap in a tortilla with rice and black beans.
How to store leftover beef
Store: Let the beef cool and place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator. To reheat, place in a large sauce pan and warm over medium heat.
Freeze: You can easily freeze this meat by putting it in a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw in the refrigerator.
More slow cooker recipes
- 1 slow cooker
- 3-4 pound boneless chuck roast
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Spread sliced onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chuck roast on top of the onions.
- Poke a few holes with a fork in the top of the beef roast. Pour Worcestershire sauce and beef stock over the beef.
- Stir the spices together. Sprinkle the spice mixture over top of the meat. Rub spice mixture over the beef roast. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- If the roast is tender, shred the beef with 2 forks. Serve warm. (If it's not fall apart tender, let cook for another hour.)
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.