Heinz 57 Steak Sauce
Aug 03, 2021, Updated May 17, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Heinz 57 recipe can be made in minutes and has that same delicious flavor of the bottled sauce. No need to go to the store, make your own with just a few simple ingredients.
Copycat Heinz 57 sauce can be made in about 5 minutes with just a few ingredients and a bowl. It’s delicious served with steak, grilled chicken and more.
Making your own homemade sauces is fast and easy. It’s also budget friendly and you can make as little or as much as you like. The other benefit is that it’s simple to adjust ingredients to your taste.
What is Heinz 57 Steak Sauce?
Heinz 57 steak sauce has been produced by H.J. Heinz Company for over 90 years. It’s dark orange and yellow in color and made up of a blend of spices and tomato puree which gives it a rich flavor that tastes similar to a ketchup, mustard combination.
Surprisingly, the number 57 doesn’t have anything to do with the number of products Heinz produced. Heinz wanted a catchy slogan so he chose his favorite number 5 and then his wife’s favorite number, 7 to make 57.
Heinz 57 Sauce ingredients
These few ingredients come together to pack a punch of flavor. You might even already have them in your kitchen.
- Ketchup – The main ingredient. Use your favorite brand of ketchup.
- Mustard – Use yellow mustard for this recipe. Yellow mustard will add a hint of spice and tang to the sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce – Adds a delicious depth of flavor.
- Hot pepper sauce – This will add a little bit of heat. Use your favorite like Tabasco sauce. If you don’t like spicy, you can leave this ingredient out.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice brightens the sauces flavor and adds an extra bit of tanginess.
- Salt – A little extra seasoning to balance the sweetness of the ketchup. This can be left out if trying to lower sodium intake.
57 Sauce Recipe Tips
This recipe is enough for 2-3 servings. You can easily multiply the ingredients to the amount of servings you need.
How to make Heinz 57 Sauce
This simple sauce recipe just requires stirring all of the ingredients together.
- Place ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir together until completely combined. A whisk works well for this but you can use a for or spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to come together. The longer it sits, the more the flavors are able to blend.
How to store this Heinz 57 recipe
Store: Any leftover sauce can be stored in an airtight container, bottle or jar in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 2 weeks. Give it a good stir or shake before serving.
Freeze: This sauce can be frozen for up to 6 months. Place the sauce in a freezer safe bag or container. If using a freezer bag, be sure to remove as much air as possible.
How to serve 57 steak sauce
This condiment is great served as a dip, sauce or even a marinade.
Sauce – This is delicious topped on a juicy steak, hamburger, steak bagel sandwich, or even a pork chop.
Marinade – You can add 1-2 tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil to this sauce and use it as a marinade. Place the meat in a container or sealable bag with the marinade and keep in the refrigerator for 1-6 hours before cooking. You can add a clove of minced garlic or half a diced onion to the marinade for extra flavor.
Heinz 57 Recipe FAQs
Heinz 57 has a rich flavor that tastes like a mix of ketchup and mustard.
You can use this sauce for a variety of things like steak, hamburgers, chicken, and more.
More sauce recipes
If you enjoy making homemade sauce, be sure to give these easy recipes a try:
- Boom Boom sauce
- Homemade tartar sauce
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- Zesty sauce
- Horsey sauce
- Buffalo ranch
Heinz 57 Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk until completely combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to let flavors come together.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.