This ground turkey casserole is sure to become a favorite with your family. Ground turkey and rice with veggies, onion soup mix and cheese come together for a flavorful, one dish meal.
What makes this so good
- This meal can be prepared in one skillet which makes for fast and easy clean-up.
- This rice casserole with onion soup mix is cheese and full of flavor. Also is perfect for leftovers on a busy night.
- A delicious dinner that is sure to satisfy on a busy night.
Ingredients and variations
Ground turkey – Feel free to substitute with ground chicken or ground beef.
Mushrooms, onion, garlic – You can also add frozen carrots and peas for more vegetables.
Onion soup mix – I used Lipton dry onion soup mix found in the soup aisle.
Rice – Long grain white rice but can be substituted with brown rice. Brown rice takes a little longer to cook. If using brown rice add 1/2 cup extra beef broth and cook an extra 5 minutes.
Beef stock – Beef stock adds a nice richness to this dish but you can substitute with chicken or vegetable stock.
Cheese – I used mozzarella cheese for this recipe but you can use your favorite cheese like Monterey jack, provolone, swiss or Colby jack.
Optional: Garnish with diced green onion or fresh parsley.
How to make ground turkey casserole
Scroll to the bottom for a video, ingredient list and printable recipe instructions.
- Sauté: Add olive oil to large skillet and warm over medium heat. Add in diced onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook them for about 2 minutes to start to soften.
- Brown: Stir in ground turkey and cook until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Break the ground turkey up into crumbles while cooking.
- Cook rice: Pour in beef stock, rice, and onion soup mix. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so stock simmers. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes. (Stir halfway through cook time.)
- Serve: Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Serve warm.
How to store
Store: Store turkey rice casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through.
Freeze: This can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let the casserole thaw in the refrigerator before heating.
- Make sure that you are using a skillet with a tight fitting lid so that the rice gets fully cooked. If you find that your rice is not finished cooking after 15 minutes, add 1/4 cup of beef broth and let cook an additional 5 minutes.
- r(opens in anew tab)
More easy dinner recipes
- Polish sausage skillet – Quick and easy meal that can be served with pasta, rice or cauliflower rice.
- Skillet hamburger casserole – Cheesy meal with ground beef and pasta.
- Sweet and sour kielbasa – Easy to make in the slow cooker.
- Buffalo chicken pasta – Creamy, cheesy pasta bake with shredded chicken and buffalo sauce.
Made this skillet recipe? Feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Ground Turkey Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion, diced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add in ground turkey and cook until cooked through. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in stock, rice, and onion soup mix. Heat until stock starts to boil. Reduce heat to simmering. Cover the skillet with lid and cook for 15 minutes. Stir halfway through.
- Remove from heat and add shredded cheese. Serve hot.