Sweet and sour crockpot kielbasa is a delicious and colorful family friendly dish. Sliced kielbasa, bell peppers, pineapple, onions cooked in a two ingredient sauce.
Why you will love Crockpot Kielbasa
Crockpot kielbasa is one of the first slow cooker meals I can remember making. It was a recipe my mom gave me before I headed off to college.
Now it’s one of those go-to meals that I can make knowing my kids will be happy and dinner will be done when we got home.
Slow cooker kielbasa ingredients
- Kielbasa: I used turkey kielbasa for this recipe.
- Bell peppers: I like using red, yellow, and green but feel free to use your favorite.
- Sweet onion: I used a Vidalia onion.
- Pineapple tidbits: Use the tidbits and the juice.
- BBQ sauce: Use your preferred brand of sauce. I used Sweet Baby Rays Original.
- Brown sugar: I prefer light brown sugar for this recipe.
How to make Crock Pot Kielbasa
- Slice the kielbasa into rounds and cut bell peppers and onion into strips.
- Place in slow kielbasa, peppers, and onion in slow cooker. Pour in pineapple tidbits and the juice.
- Add BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Place lid on top and then set for 4 hours.
What to eat with Sweet and Sour Kielbasa
I like serving this meal over rice or buttered noodles. It’s also great over cauliflower rice or zoodles.
How to store Sweet and Sour Kielbasa
Let the leftovers completely cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Kielbasa in Crock Pot FAQs
Sausage is a general term and kielbasa is a type of sausage. Kielbasa usually means a Polish sausage that usually contains seasonings and garlic.
Yes, packaged kielbasa is typically already cooked.
You Might Also Enjoy These Slow Cooker Recipes…
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodles
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
Sweet and Sour Kielbasa (Crockpot Recipe)
- 1 package kielbasa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 can pineapple tidbits
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Slice the kielbasa into circles and the peppers and onion into strips.
- Place in a slow cooker and pour in pineapple with the juice. Add the BBQ sauce and brown sugar.
- Cook for 4 hours in slow cooker.
Can you use chicken cut up in cubes instead of kielbasa?
I haven’t tried this. If you do I would recommend browning the chicken in a skillet a little first. Kielbasa comes fully cooked so with this recipe you are essentially just heating it cup. You could probably cook longer in order to cook the chicken through.
I used Sticky fingers Sweet Carolina bbq sauce. I sliced the kielbasa and marinated it in gallon ziplock bags overnight. I quadrupled the recipe for 18 people. There was only a small bowl left over. EVERYONE loved it!
This will be the 2nd time making this!!! I added Cajun style andouille to the recipe … it was so delish!!!! Try it if you like it spicy!!!😊
What size can of pineapple do you use, the recipe doesn’t say?
I used a 20 oz can of pineapple tidbits. You could also use pineapple chunks if you prefer.
Thank you, trying it today
Do you cook it on low ir high in the crockpot?
You can cook it on low 🙂 Hope you enjoy!
Lori S Sheerin
How would small red potatoes be in this? Would I need to cook longer?
I have not tried it with potatoes but I think if you cut them in half or quarters that they would soften fine.
Simple 10 minute prep, delicious recipe.
We substituted 12 oz of Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Red Chili sauce for the more heavily sugared barbeque sauce and brown sugar. Light, sweet heat that doesn’t overwhelm and cuts sugar way down. served over rice or zoodles. Can also use turkey kielbasa to cut down fat if desired. Also can cut to 1/2 can of crushed pineapple to further cut sugars. 8 hours on slow cook allowed kielbasa to get tender, and let sauce flavors develop.
Now a regular dinner meal on cold wintry days.
Made this for dinner tonight and my family loved it!
Such a tasty dish! It lasts long when stored & only tastes better when I do! One of my husband’s favorites.
Hi, how would you adapt this meal for an instant pot or skillet meal? I’m gone for 10 hours each day, so I worry about leaving it that long.
I made this dish at the beginning of the Covid quarantine. It was quick and easy and the final dish was excellent. I served it over riced cauliflower. The husband loved it. I am back to print the recipe and make it again today.
So happy you enjoyed it!
do you you cook this on high or low for 4 hr..
You can cook on low for this recipe. The Kielbasa cook pretty fast.
How much BBQ sauce do u use?
Hi Katie! About 1.5 cups. Hope you enjoy!