This Cream Cheese Pasta is a quick, easy meal that can be made in 20 minutes. Wonderful as a side or main meal.
If you like easy pasta recipes, be sure to try buttered noodles, garlic butter sauce pasta and green pasta sauce.
I am all about a delicious, easy dinner. Most week nights I try to make something that will take me less than 30 minute because we are all busy.
This cream cheese pasta recipe has become part of our menu rotation because it can be made quickly and of course is super tasty. This creamy sauce is similar to Alfredo sauce and perfect over any pasta, even zoodles.
Why we love this cream cheese pasta sauce
- Easy: 5 ingredients, under 20 minutes.
- Delicious: This meal is perfect for even the picky eaters. Pasta with cheese sauce is always a hit with the family.
- Versatile: Can be used as a base with protein or vegetables or served by itself.
Pasta – Use your favorite pasta or gluten-free pasta. I typically use fettuccine or spaghetti.
Cream cheese – Use full fat cream cheese for this dish. Make sure to cut into cubes before adding to the mixture so that it will melt faster.
Parmesan cheese – Use shredded or grated Parmesan.
Butter – Unsalted, sweet cream butter.
Garlic powder – This adds a hint of garlic flavor. Feel free to reduce the amount for less garlic flavor.
Salt and Pepper to season
How to make cream cheese pasta sauce
Scroll to the bottom for full, printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Pasta: Boil and cook pasta according to package. Before draining water, take out 1/2 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- Sauce: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add in garlic powder and stir to combine. Pour in reserved pasta water, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss: Toss cooked pasta with sauce and serve. Optional top with crumbled bacon and parsley.
How to store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Place pasta back in a large saucepan or skillet and warm over medium heat.
- If you prefer your sauce a little thinner, add a little extra pasta water to the sauce.
- If you are making this dish for 1-2 people, cut ingredients by half.
Can you freeze cream cheese?
Yes, you can freeze unopened cream cheese in it’s original packaging. It will last 2-3 months in the freezer.
To thaw, place in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Be aware that the consistency to change after thawed out.
How to serve cream cheese pasta
This makes a great side dish or even as a main meal. We love topping it with a protein like crumbled bacon, chicken, shrimp or mixed vegetables. I also love serving with a piece of garlic Texas toast.
More pasta recipes
- Baked ravioli – Easy baked ravioli is made with pasta, sauce and cheese.
- Baked mostaccioli – A family favorite.
- Instant pot chicken pesto pasta – Can be made quickly in the pressure cooker.
***If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Cream Cheese Pasta
- 1 16 oz package fettuccini or spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pasta water (extra 1/4 cup for thinner sauce)
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/8 cup chopped parsley
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta but reserve 3/4 cup pasta water once finished cooking.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in garlic powder. Add in 1/2 cup pasta water, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until cream cheese has melted.
- ***If you would like the sauce thinned out, add in extra 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss sauce with cooked pasta.
- Serve warm. Optional top with crumbled bacon and parsley.
Ann Marie Crocker
Very good filling ,add vegetables,or not ,loved garlic bread and Cesar salads !
Cream cheese pasta looks delicious I need to give this one try creamy and perfect meal.
Yummy! We love eating all sorts of pasta dishes. This one looks so delicious.
This looks really delicious. I bet my family would love it. My daughters really love their pasta. This is something I must try for them.
Pasta is always a favorite in our house! I need to try this recipe soon!
This looks like a delicious and easy recipe! My family will love it.
THis recipe sounds amazing! It seems similar to Alfredo. We just had fettuccine alfredo for dinner tonight. I will have to save this recipe and give it a try!
Easy recipes like this are such a lifesaver for me! I can’t wait to try it! It sounds simple and fast, but delicious!
That sounds FULLY awesome! Any time you add cream cheese to anything, I am immediately all in.
This sounds so good! I can’t wait to try this recipe, I’m sure the cream cheese makes the pasta super creamy
This looks so good. Cream cheese +pasta are two of my favorite ingredients! I like how easy it is to prepare too.
Jennifer Van Haitsma
This looks so good. I love all things pasta these days. I will have to try this!