Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta can be made in just the pressure cooker…even the pasta! You won’t believe how simple this Instant Pot chicken recipe is to make.
If you are looking for a SUPER simple Instant pot meal like Instant Pot BBQ chicken, you will love this pesto chicken recipe! This chicken pesto pasta made in the pressure cooker has become a family favorite.
Why this chicken pesto pasta recipe works
- Can be made quickly and in one pot using the Instant Pot.
- Just a few ingredients pack a lot of flavor.
- Perfect for an easy, weeknight meal.
Chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless breast cut into small pieces.
Pasta – Use your favorite shape, we used rotini. Ziti, penne and mostaccioli also work well.
Chicken broth – You can also substitute water or vegetable broth.
Pesto – Feel free to use store bought or homemade.
Butter and Italian seasoning – Add flavor to the meal.
How to make chicken pesto pasta recipe:
Scroll to the bottom for full printable recipe and ingredients.
- Prepare: Since we are making this dish in the pressure cooker, I like to cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season the chicken with Italian seasonings.
- Cook chicken: Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and add butter. (You can replace butter with olive oil if you prefer.) Saute the chicken until all sides start to brown.
- Pasta: Pour uncooked pasta over chicken and then pour in broth. Place lid on Instant Pot and set Manual cook for 4 minutes.
- Release: Once it has reached pressure and cooked, do a manual pressure release to let the steam out of cooker. Wait until the pin drops before removing the lid.
- Combine: Add in pesto and mix until chicken and pasta are coated. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
What goes well with chicken pesto pasta:
- Salad is always a great choice to serve with pasta.
- My favorite, garlic bread is always served at my house when I make this meal.
If you want to “beef” up this meal you can add-in different vegetables like grape tomatoes, peas, mushrooms, or even cut asparagus. I also love topping my pasta with shredded Parmesan cheese and even pine nuts.
Tools used in this Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta:
Instant Pot: I love using my Instant Pot for easy meals. It has become one of my favorite kitchen tools.
More easy Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot spaghetti squash: A quick and simple way to cook spaghetti squash.
- Instant Pot German potato salad: A warm potato salad with bacon and vinegar dressing.
- Instant Pot country style ribs: Super tender country style BBQ ribs.
- Instant Pot vegetable soup: Very easy soup recipe, great for a busy night.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Set Instant Pot to Saute setting. Add butter to pot. Season chicken with Italian seasonings and add to Instant Pot.
- Saute chicken until sides start to brown. Pour in uncooked pasta and chicken broth.
- Place cover on Instant pot and set Manual to 4 minutes. Once finished do a manual steam release. Once stopper has dropped, remove lid.
- Add pesto to pot and stir to cover chicken and pasta.
- Serve and top with Parmesan cheese.
This was delicious!! I added sautéed mushrooms to my half cause no one else like mushrooms!! Definitely a keeper!!
Would the cool time be different if I add shrimp instead of chicken?
That should be cook time
I have not tried it with shrimp but shrimp typically takes just a few minutes to fully cook. You could prepare the pasta according to directions and omit the chicken. Try cooking the shrimp in a skillet and then add into the pesto pasta.
Can this be doubled easily?
I have not tried doubling it but I think it would work fine.
This is very tasty and I appreciate the one pot concept to it. My only concern was I followed the recipe to the letter and when I was done releasing the steam I was surprised to find there was well more than a cup of liquid remaining. I thought adding the pesto and cheese would absorb it, however, it didn’t. My “fix” was to steam for an additional minute and then re-release the steam. Unfortunately, some bits of pasta got seared (was still edible though). I used a Crock Pot Pressure Cooker 6qt, not the traditional Instant Pot. Any tips or recommendations for the next time I make this? Thanks!!
I ran into this problem as well and added 1/2 bag of fresh Spinach and it was perfect!
Can I add vegetables to this recipe such as broccoli? If so when would I add the vegetables?
Yummy! Can you use Mozzarella cheese?
Yes, I love using mozzarella!
Can you use boneless thighs? Do you cut the chicken in pieces?
Yes you could 🙂 Just cut in small bite sized pieces. Hope you enjoy!
I made this Sat night the old way not even knowing you could cook pasta in the instant pot!!! I added zucchini to mine because I had it. I also had some great Italian cheese left over from lasagna. It was so good! Will definitely use my instant pot next time, thanks!!
Yay so glad you enjoyed it!
I did the manual for four minutes but the pasta was still hard. Has it taken anyone longer then the four minutes?
Mine usually only takes that long. You can try a few minutes longer if your pasta isn’t fully cooked.
I have an 8qt instapot. Will I need to add more chicken broth to make this work? I’m new to the instapot world!
Should will be good leaving the measurements as they are in the recipe. Hope you enjoy!
What kind of Pesto sauce do you use?
I use store bought pesto sauce like Bertoli (you can find in the refrigerated pasta section of the grocery store)
I didn’t notice on your recipe if you put the pressure cooker on high for the 4 minutes?
Hi Marc! Yes, you set it on pressure cook high for 4 minutes. Hope you enjoy!
I am relatively new to instant pot cooking but this was the best thing I’ve made yet! Thank you!
Made this for the first time and it’s deliciois! I added a little more pesto and Parmesan cheese.
Easy and delicious