Easy Canned Cranberry Sauce Recipe (Tastes Like Homemade)
Nov 13, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Are you tired of serving up the same old canned cranberry sauce every year? Learn how to take your cans of cranberry sauce to the next level with this canned cranberry sauce recipe that can be made in minutes and is the perfect side dish for the holiday season.
Table of Contents
How to make canned cranberry sauce better
When buying canned cranberry sauce you will fine jellied cranberry sauce and whole cranberry sauce. Both are great out of the can but you can make them taste like homemade with a few extra ingredients.
What you need
- Canned cranberry sauce – You can use whole berry cranberry sauce or jellied canned cranberry sauce or even one of each. During the holidays, canned cranberry sauce is typically displayed with holiday food. You may also find it in the canned vegetable aisle.
- Brown sugar – This adds a hint of sweetness to balance out the tart of the cranberries. You can substitute with maple syrup.
- Vanilla extract – Adds a warmth to the dish.
- Orange juice – Citrus juice adds a brightness, and fresh flavor. It is a great combination with cranberries.
- Orange zest – The zest of orange is optional but adds color and a more intense orange flavor.
I recommend using the whole berry canned sauce for that homemade texture and taste.
How to make canned cranberry sauce recipe
Step one: Place the cans of cranberry sauce in a medium saucepan. Add in brown sugar, vanilla extract, orange juice, and a little orange zest.
Step two: Stir over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Turn the heat to low and let cook for 10 minutes. Make sure to stir every few minutes, breaking up the canned cranberries.
Step three: Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
How to serve cranberry sauce
Typically cranberry sauce is served at room temperature or cold. You can also serve it hot if that is your preference.
If you want to serve them cold, once they have cooked, let cool and then place the in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. You can also make them a day ahead so they are nice and chilled.
How to store leftovers
Store: Have leftover cranberry sauce? Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove or serve cold.
Use: Try using leftovers on a turkey sandwich, alongside protein like pork chops, chicken, and more.
More holiday side dishes
Canned Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 2 14 ounces canned cranberry sauce, whole cranberry or jellied
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- Place the cans of cranberry sauce in a medium saucepan. Add in brown sugar, vanilla extract, orange juice, and a little orange zest.
- Stir over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Turn the heat to low and let cook for 10 minutes. Make sure to stir every few minutes, breaking up the canned cranberries.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.