Feb 07, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade strawberry milkshake recipe is bursting with strawberry flavor. Thick, creamy, delicious, this is the perfect drink to make for family and friends.
Fresh strawberry milkshake recipe
There is something about a milkshake, especially homemade milkshakes, that just puts a smile on your face. Sweet, cold with a creamy texture, milkshakes have it all.
When its strawberry season, a homemade strawberry shake made with real strawberries is a must make. Using fresh berries really adds such amazing flavor and beautiful color to these shakes.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed to make this delicious milkshake. You will need:
- Fresh strawberries – Fresh strawberries are used for this recipe. You could substitute with frozen strawberries if you have those on hand. (If you use frozen strawberries, you won’t need the sugar.)
- Sugar – Granulated sugar is used to sweeten up the fresh strawberries.
- Vanilla ice cream – Use your favorite vanilla ice cream for this recipe. Try letting it sit out at room temperature for a few minutes to make it easier to scoop out of the carton. You could also substitute with strawberry ice cream for a super strawberry flavor.
- Vanilla extract – Adds an extra layer of flavor.
- Milk – We typically use 1% milk or whole milk but you can substitute with the milk you have on hand like almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
- Whipped cream – This is optional but makes a great topping.
How to make a strawberry milkshake
Step one: Slice the strawberries and then sprinkle with sugar. Place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Step two: Place vanilla ice cream in a blender. Then add frozen strawberries, vanilla extract, and milk in the blender.
Step three: Blend the ingredients until combined and creamy.
Step four: Pour the milkshake into tall glasses and top with whipped cream and a fresh strawberry.
- Glassware – You can serve these milkshakes in your favorite glass. Try placing the glasses in the freezer before you fill them to help the milkshake stay cold for a longer period of time.
- Consistency – If you like a thicker shake, you can start by not using any milk and then add a little milk at a time until you reach your perfect thickness.
- Ice cream – Make sure to use a good quality ice cream to make this the best milkshake. Homemade ice cream also works well.
- Mix-ins – Want to add a something to this shake? Try adding in some sliced banana or other frozen berries for a slightly different flavor.
- Toppings – Try topping with strawberry syrup, mini chocolate chips, or even mini marshmallows.
How to store leftovers
Store: Milkshakes are best if served immediately after they are made. If there are leftovers, you can cover and place in the freezer. It will stay good for 1-2 days. Let soften at room temperature for a few minutes before drinking.
If your shake is too thick, add a little extra milk, one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired thickness.
If your shake is too thin, add a little extra ice cream.
More strawberry recipes
- 1 Blender
- 2 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- whipped cream optional topping
- Slice strawberries and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle sugar over the strawberries and then place the bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- When ready to make the milkshake, place the vanilla ice cream in the blender.
- Add the strawberries, milk, and vanilla extract and blend for 45-60 seconds.
- Once you get a nice, smooth consistency pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and a strawberry before enjoying!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.