Pumpkin coffee cake is a delicious twist on our favorite coffee cake recipe. Canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice adds flavor and moisture to this tasty cake.
I am one of those people that love anything and everything pumpkin and fall and this moist, delicious cake screams fall.
This pumpkin coffee cake recipe is filled with fall flavors like cinnamon and pumpkin spice. A perfect dessert to serve any time of day.
Why you will love this sour cream pumpkin coffee cake
- Simple to make with the help of cake mix.
- Perfect amount of pumpkin and fall spices.
- Sweet and easy icing that adds lots of flavor.
Box cake mix – In these pictures and video I use yellow cake mix but I also love using butter pecan cake mix.
Pumpkin – Be sure to use canned pure pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling.
Pumpkin pie spice – Use store bought or you can easily make your own pumpkin pie spice at home.
Sour cream – This adds moisture to the cake. Feel free to use full or lowfat.
Brown sugar and cinnamon – This makes up the center of the cake.
Powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract – Used for a simple glaze.
How to make pumpkin coffee cake
Scroll to the bottom for the full printable recipe, ingredients and video.
- Mix: Place cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- Filling: In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake: Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick spray. Spread half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over batter. Top with the remaining batter and spread over top. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes.
- Icing: In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Once cake has baked, let cool for at least 10 minutes. Spread icing over top of cake.
- Try not to over mix the batter. This helps keep the cake moist and not dry.
- Be careful not to over bake the cake. I like to check mine after 25 minutes of baking. Once toothpick comes out clean it’s done.
- For the icing, if you prefer yours to be thicker, add a little less milk. If you would like it thinner, add a little more milk.
How to store
Store: Cover the cake with foil and store at room temperature. You can also cut into squares and store in an airtight container. It will last 3-4 days.
More pumpkin recipes
- Pumpkin dip – Super easy, creamy pumpkin dip.
- Pumpkin hummus – A savory pumpkin dip, great for fall gatherings.
- Pumpkin cheesecake – Crustless, simple to make cheesecake.
- Pumpkin cheesecake brownie bites – Rich brownies bites with a swirl of pumpkin cheesecake.
- Pumpkin magic bars – Layers of chocolate chips, graham crackers and pumpkin.
*** If you made this recipe, please feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice just until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan and spread to cover the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle on the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Top with the rest of the batter. Use a spatula to spread out the batter so that it covers the brown sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- In another small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Spread over top of cake.