Pineapple Cake is a moist, flavorful cake with crushed pineapple and topped with a pineapple icing. One of my favorite desserts to make in the summer.
I LOVE to bake, even in the summer. It’s like therapy to me and the plus side is something delicious to eat. Occasionally I will take a shortcut and use a cake mix as a base for some of my cakes like this coffee cake (one of my favorite cake mix recipes).
This pineapple cake is one of those occasions. I start with a yellow cake mix and add in some extras to the batter to give it additional moisture and flavor.
How to make pineapple cake
I recommend using an electric mixture to combine all of the ingredients for this pineapple cake.
Pour cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let it mix for about 2 minutes.
Stir in some drained, crushed pineapple. **Be sure to reserve the pineapple juice for the icing.
Spread the batter in a 9×13 pan and bake for about 30 minutes. You can test if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean.
Let the cake cool. This way the icing won’t melt when you drizzle it on the cake.
Mix together powdered sugar and pineapple juice and pour onto pineapple cake.
How to make crushed pineapple
Now, I am all for short cuts so I use canned crushed pineapple. If you happen to have a fresh pineapple on hand, cut of the stem and outer skin of the pineapple. I love this handy and cheap pineapple peeler and corer to make this step easier.
Cut into 1 inch chunks. Place a handful of chunks in blender or food processor and chop. Chop until the pineapple is cut into small pieces. Be sure not to blend too long.
Be sure to let me know how you like this pineapple cake. It is great for any occasion, especially a summer BBQ. If you really want to go all out, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
More delicious desserts
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained and reserve juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in drained, crushed pineapple.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour and spread batter in the pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and reserved pineapple juice until combined. Drizzle over the cake.