Pineapple Cake is a moist, flavorful cake with crushed pineapple and topped with a pineapple icing. One of my favorite desserts to make in the summer.
I LOVE to bake, even in the summer. It’s like therapy to me and the plus side is something delicious to eat. Occasionally I will take a shortcut and use a cake mix as a base for some of my cakes like this coffee cake (one of my favorite cake mix recipes).
This pineapple cake is one of those occasions. I start with a yellow cake mix and add in some extras to the batter to give it additional moisture and flavor.
How to make pineapple cake
- I recommend using an electric mixture to combine all of the ingredients for this pineapple cake.
- Pour cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let it mix for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in some drained, crushed pineapple. **Be sure to reserve the pineapple juice for the icing.
- Spread the batter in a 9×13 pan and bake for about 30 minutes. You can test if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool. This way the icing won’t melt when you drizzle it on the cake.
- Mix together powdered sugar and pineapple juice and pour onto pineapple cake.
How to make crushed pineapple
Now, I am all for short cuts so I use canned crushed pineapple. If you happen to have a fresh pineapple on hand, cut of the stem and outer skin of the pineapple. I love this handy and cheap pineapple peeler and corer to make this step easier.
Cut into 1 inch chunks. Place a handful of chunks in blender or food processor and chop. Chop until the pineapple is cut into small pieces. Be sure not to blend too long.
Why this recipe works
- You only need a few simple ingredients for this cake.
- It can easily be made in a brownie pan. No need for layering.
- The pineapple glaze on top adds the perfect hint of pineapple.
Be sure to let me know how you like this pineapple cake. It is great for any occasion, especially a summer BBQ. If you really want to go all out, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
More delicious desserts
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained and reserve juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in drained, crushed pineapple.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour and spread batter in the pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and reserved pineapple juice until combined. Drizzle over the cake.