Chocolate Sheet Cake
Apr 06, 2020, Updated Oct 28, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chocolate sheet cake is the perfect mix of moist cake and fudgey frosting. An easy semi-homemade recipe that is sure to become a family favorite.
There are many wonderful from scratch Texas sheet cake recipes. This one is pure chocolate with no nuts.
This recipe takes a cake mix and adds a few extra ingredients that really give it amazing flavor and moisture. The homemade frosting really puts this dessert over the top!
Why this works
What I love about this recipe is that while it has great chocolate flavor, it’s not too rich.
It can also feed a crowd and makes a delicious birthday cake!
What you need
Cake Mix – I love semi-homemade cakes. You will also need ingredients from the box, eggs, vegetable oil and water.
Pudding Mix – Adds extra chocolate flavor and moistness
Buttermilk – Gives rich flavor to this cake. If don’t have you can replace with milk.
Frosting – You will need butter, milk, cocoa powder (I used Hersheys), powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
How to make
Scroll down for full printable recipe, ingredient list and video.
- Start with making the cake. Mix together Devil’s Food mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour into a greased pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the fudge frosting, heat butter, cocoa powder and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour over powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until creamy and spread over warm cake.
- What pan size? I like using a 9 x 13 inch pan that is about 2 inches deep. This will feed about 30 people with 2 x 2 serving size.
- What if I don’t have buttermilk? No problem, you can substitute with milk or make your own by adding 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar to milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- I recommend spreading frosting over the cake while it’s still a little warm. This makes it easier to spread.
- Try decorating this cake with sprinkles or even pipe on some colorful frosting for the ultimate birthday cake.
- To store, you can leave this cake out at room temperature but it will last longer if kept in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze?
Yes! Once the cake is baked and completely cooled, place in the freezer until frozen then wrap cake tightly with plastic wrap and store for 4-6 months.
More irresistible cake recipes
- Apricot Nectar Cake has a base of a lemon cake mix and topped with apricot icing.
- Butterfinger Poke Cake is a yellow cake with caramel and topped with crushed candy and whipped cream.
- Coffee Cake is one of my all time favorites. Cinnamon and brown sugar cake with a delicious icing.
- JELLO Cake can be made with your favorite JELLO colors, cake and a cream topping.
***If you made this recipe please feel free to leave a comment and rating.
Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 1 box Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 3 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and buttermilk in a mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Spray a 9 x 13 in pan with non-stick spray. Spread batter in pan. Bake for approximately 20- 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Add butter, cocoa powder and milk to small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it just starts to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar into mixing bowl. Add in vanilla extract and then pour chocolate mixture over powdered sugar. Mix until creamy. Spread over cake.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.