Hibiscus sweet tea is not only beautiful and delicious but also has some added health benefits. This recipe uses dried hibiscus flowers to make this cool, refreshing beverage.
You can find the full recipe for Hibiscus Sweet Tea at Dixie Crystals. Find the full ingredient list and directions at Dixie Crystals Hibiscus Sweet Tea.
Iced tea is so refreshing during the hot months of the year. This hibiscus sweet tea is also known as Agua De Jamaica and Jamaica tea. The dried flowers give this drink a lovely deep reddish purple color and a tart yet fruity taste. It can be prepared hot or cold but today we are serving it over ice.
Dried hibiscus flowers – For this recipe we are using dried hibiscus flowers. You can typically find them in health food stores and online.
Sugar – Use fine, granulated sugar like Dixie Crystals. Feel free to adjust the amount to fit your taste.
Water – You will need both boiling water and cold water.
Optional – Garnish with sliced lime or lemon and mint if desired.
How to make
Find the full directions and ingredients at Dixie Crystals.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil on the stove. Once it comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in dried hibiscus flowers.
- Let steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into a pitcher. Discard leftover dried flowers.
- Stir in sugar to the tea and mix until sugar starts to dissolve. Top with cold water.
- Refrigerate until ready to drink.
- This tea will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to keep it covered or store in a closed container like a jar.
- Hibiscus flowers can cause a stain, so make sure to wipe up any spills.
- Want a frozen treat? Freeze this tea in popsicle molds for a tasty dessert.
- This tea also makes beautiful ice cubes. Simply pour the chilled tea in ice trays and freeze until set.
Hibiscus tea also has some added health benefits. It can be good for digestion and is full of vitamin C and antioxidants. It’s even been known to help lower blood pressure.
*** Be aware it can affect estrogen level so if pregnant or breastfeeding, you should avoid drinking.
I hope you try this amazing sweet tea. It’s super simple to make and perfect for a summer gathering or party.
More easy drink recipes
*** I have an ongoing relationship with Dixie Crystals for recipe development. I have been compensated for my time. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.