This easy stromboli recipe is made with pepperoni, salami and provolone cheese. Wrap it up in pizza dough and dip into your favorite marinara sauce for a dinner that can be made in 30 minutes.
This recipe is a favorite in our house. Basically it is a tasty pizza pocket filled with pepperoni and salami, yum! If you don’t feel like going out for pizza, these are the perfect thing to make.
We love making this recipe on a Friday night after work. They are done in under 30 minutes and you only need a few ingredients.
Stromboli vs Calzone
A stromboli is typically long and rectangular in shape. It is Italian-American in origin. The toppings are usually a little more versatile than a calzone.
A calzone is usually made into a half moon shape. Calzones originated in Naples, Italy.
What you need
Pizza Crust – I typically use the kind you can find in the refrigerated section by the biscuits. You can also grab a crust dough from your bakery or local pizza shop.
Fillings – Our family likes pepperoni, salami and cheese but you can fill with whatever you want!
How to make
Scroll down for full printable recipe and ingredient list
- Start with dusting the sheet pan with corn meal. If you don’t have cornmeal, spray with non-stick spray, use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll out refrigerated dough on pan and cut into 4 rectangles.
- Place cheese, pepperoni and salami on top of each rectangle. (I use the large pepperoni slices from the deli. If you have the small size, add a few extra.)
- Fold each rectangle in half and pinch sides together.
- Brush tops with extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Can you make ahead of time?
You can assemble this the night before. Just be sure to wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Let come to room temperature before baking.
Can you freeze?
Yes! Bake and let cool completely. Wrap tightly and freeze. When you are ready to eat, let thaw at room temperature and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Making stromboli is super simple. Pepperoni, salami and provolone is my favorite filling combination but the possibilities are endless. Here are a few options:
- Vegetarian using mushrooms, onions, peppers and cheese.
- Hawaiian using diced ham, diced pineapple, red onion and cheese.
- BBQ chicken using BBQ chicken, red onion, cheese and cilantro.
More comfort food recipes
*** If you made this recipe feel free to leave a comment and star rating below.
Easy Stromboli Recipe
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons corn meal
- 8 slices pepperoni
- 8 slices hard salami
- 8 slices provolone
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup favorite marinara sauce
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Sprinkle corn meal on a baking sheet
- Roll out pizza dough on cornmeal dusted baking sheet. Cut into 4 rectangles.
- Place 2 pieces of provolone, 2 pieces of pepperoni and 2 pieces of salami on each rectangle.
- Fold each rectangle in half pinching sides together.
- Brush tops of stromboli with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle the top with garlic powder and Italian seasonings.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce to dip.
This post was updated 3/19/2020