This crustless pizza bowl recipe is easy to make and totally customizable. Great for an easy dinner that the whole family will enjoy.
Our family loves a good pizza night and while I do enjoy a traditional pizza with pizza crust sometimes we like to cut carbs and make these delicious crustless pizza bowls.
Why you will enjoy this recipe
- A super simple meal that’s a great way to spice up pizza night.
- Easily customizable. Everyone can choose their favorite pizza toppings.
- Since this recipe is crustless, it’s gluten-free, low-carb and Keto friendly.
- Fast, this meal can be made in about 15 minutes start to finish.
You just need a few simple ingredients for these pizza bowls. Note, they are customizable so most of these ingredients can be easily substituted.
Marinara sauce – Use your favorite marinara sauce or pizza sauce. We like using Rao’s sauce because it’s lower in sugar.
Italian sausage – This is ingredient is optional. Use mild or spicy Italian sausage. You could also substitute with ground beef.
Bell pepper – Diced green, red, or yellow bell pepper.
Onion – I like using diced sweet onion but you can substitute with yellow or red onion.
Pepperoni – Use regular, mini, or turkey pepperoni.
Mozzarella cheese – Shredded mozzarella cheese.
Parmesan cheese – Use grated or shredded. Parmesan adds another layer of flavor.
How to make a pizza bowl
Step one: Place Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Break up the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
Step two: Stir diced green peppers and onion in with the sausage and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Step three: Place bowls on a baking sheet. You can use 4-6 bowls depending on the size.
Step four: To assemble the bowls, spoon a little sauce into the bottom of the oven-safe bowls. Top with mozzarella cheese. Next spoon on the sausage mixture and then add pepperoni slices. Finally top with more sauce, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Step five: Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Want to try some different topping combinations? Here are a few of our favorite. Just be sure to layer the bowl like this:
Vegetarian: If you don’t like meat try sauteeing some vegetables like mushrooms, diced bell peppers, chopped cauliflower, olives, and onion.
Hawaiian: This is great way to use leftover ham. Also add in diced pineapple and red onion.
BBQ chicken: Perfect for leftover chicken. Replace marinara sauce with BBQ sauce, add chicken, red onion, and Colby and Monterey Jack cheese.
How to store
Store: If you have leftovers, let them cool to room temperature. You don’t want to put a hot bowl in the refrigerator. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Reheat: These can easily be reheated in the microwave for 1 minute or back in the oven for at 375 degrees F for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since these bowls are customizable, the ingredients you add will determine if they are Keto friendly. This recipe is low-carb and meant to be ok for Keto.
You can use any oven-safe bowl. I like these 6 oz ramekins. 4 oz will also work.
Yes, these can be made in one larger bowl like a pie plate or 8×8 casserole dish.
More pizza recipes
Did you try this Keto bowl recipe? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to check out this Keto breakfast bowl.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pepperonis
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Break up the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Stir diced green peppers and onion in with the sausage and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet. You can use 4-6 bowls depending on the size.
- To assemble the bowls, spoon a little sauce into the bottom of each oven-safe bowl. Top with mozzarella cheese. Next spoon on the sausage mixture and then add pepperoni slices. Finally top with more sauce, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.