Easy Pizza Bowl Recipe (Low-Carb)
Mar 07, 2022, Updated Apr 13, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This crustless pizza bowl recipe is easy to make and totally customizable. Great for an easy dinner that the whole family will enjoy.
Our family loves a good pizza night and while I do enjoy a traditional pizza with pizza crust sometimes we like to cut carbs and make these delicious crustless pizza bowls.
Why you will enjoy this recipe
- A super simple meal that’s a great way to spice up pizza night.
- Easily customizable. Everyone can choose their favorite pizza toppings.
- Since this recipe is crustless, it’s gluten-free, low-carb and Keto friendly.
- Fast, this meal can be made in about 15 minutes start to finish.
You just need a few simple ingredients for these pizza bowls. Note, they are customizable so most of these ingredients can be easily substituted.
Marinara sauce – Use your favorite marinara sauce or pizza sauce. We like using Rao’s sauce because it’s lower in sugar.
Italian sausage – This is ingredient is optional. Use mild or spicy Italian sausage. You could also substitute with ground beef.
Bell pepper – Diced green, red, or yellow bell pepper.
Onion – I like using diced sweet onion but you can substitute with yellow or red onion.
Pepperoni – Use regular, mini, or turkey pepperoni.
Mozzarella cheese – Shredded mozzarella cheese.
Parmesan cheese – Use grated or shredded. Parmesan adds another layer of flavor.
How to make a pizza bowl
Step one: Place Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Break up the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
Step two: Stir diced green peppers and onion in with the sausage and cook another 2-3 minutes.
Step three: Place bowls on a baking sheet. You can use 4-6 bowls depending on the size.
Step four: To assemble the bowls, spoon a little sauce into the bottom of the oven-safe bowls. Top with mozzarella cheese. Next spoon on the sausage mixture and then add pepperoni slices. Finally top with more sauce, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Step five: Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Chop your toppings small enough to fit in the bowl. You can also try mini pepperoni.
- Make sure not to overfill the bowls so that the ingredients don’t spill out.
- Use oven safe bowls and don’t forget to place them on a baking sheet in case something spills out.
Want to try some different topping combinations? Here are a few of our favorite. Just be sure to layer the bowl like this:
Vegetarian: If you don’t like meat try sauteeing some vegetables like mushrooms, diced bell peppers, chopped cauliflower, olives, and onion.
Hawaiian: This is great way to use leftover ham. Also add in diced pineapple and red onion.
BBQ chicken: Perfect for leftover chicken. Replace marinara sauce with BBQ sauce, add chicken, red onion, and Colby and Monterey Jack cheese.
How to store
Store: If you have leftovers, let them cool to room temperature. You don’t want to put a hot bowl in the refrigerator. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Reheat: These can easily be reheated in the microwave for 1 minute or back in the oven for at 375 degrees F for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since these bowls are customizable, the ingredients you add will determine if they are Keto friendly. This recipe is low-carb and meant to be ok for Keto.
You can use any oven-safe bowl. I like these 6 oz ramekins. 4 oz will also work.
Yes, these can be made in one larger bowl like a pie plate or 8×8 casserole dish.
More pizza recipes
Did you try this Keto bowl recipe? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to check out this Keto breakfast bowl.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pepperonis
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Break up the sausage and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Stir diced green peppers and onion in with the sausage and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet. You can use 4-6 bowls depending on the size.
- To assemble the bowls, spoon a little sauce into the bottom of each oven-safe bowl. Top with mozzarella cheese. Next spoon on the sausage mixture and then add pepperoni slices. Finally top with more sauce, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.