Easy Chicken Empanadas are a little cheesy, spicy, and delicious, making them the perfect party food.
Easy Chicken Empanadas are on my must make list for Cinco de Mayo. I want to share these little pockets full of fiesta flavors; chicken, cheese, green chilies, and Rotel tomatoes. Finger size food makes me happy and we deserve a little happiness this first week of May. Not to mention May is my birthday month so it’s kinda the best month ever. 🙂
What is an empanada?
Empanadas are stuffed breads either baked or fried. They are made by folding dough over a stuffing.
How to make chicken empanadas:
These little guys are simple to make. I start off with a box of the refrigerated pie crusts you can find in the refrigerated biscuit section of the grocery store. Roll the crusts out on a floured surface and with a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out a bunch of rounds. I can get about 15 per pie crust.
In a large bowl, mix chicken (I took the easy way out and used rotisserie), green chilies, Rotel, cream cheese, green onion, shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
Mix it up and place a teaspoon of the filling in the center of each round. Brush a little water around each round and then fold pie crust over the mixture and then pinch together with the back of a fork. Brush with a little of the beaten egg and pop in the oven.
I usually serve the chicken empanadas with some salsa, sour cream and guacamole for people to dip or spread on top of the empanadas.
Can you freeze empanadas?
Yes! Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Lay unbaked empanadas on the sheet and then freeze until solid. Place them in a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months.
Easy Chicken Empanadas
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 4.5 oz can diced green chilis
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes with green chili, drained I used Rotel
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, green chilies, tomatoes with green chilies, green onions, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Unroll one pie crust on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Re-roll dough as needed.
- Repeat using both pie crusts in package.
- Lightly brush the outer edge of each round with water.
- Place one heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture in the center of each round.
- Fold dough over the filling and press edges together with a fork to seal.
- Repeat with remaining rounds and mixture.
- Place the empanadas on baking sheet and light brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.