This cherry chip cake is a delicious, semi-homemade cake with an easy cherry buttercream frosting. Chopped maraschino cherries are incorporated into the batter sweetened with a splash of cherry juice to add beautiful color and flavor to this lovely pink cake.
I love taking a boxed cake mix and making it better with just a few extra ingredients like apricot nectar cake, coffee cake and this maraschino cherry cake using cake mix.
My mom would use the Betty Crocker cherry chip cake mix to make us amazing cakes growing up. It’s always been one of my favorites. I haven’t been able to find the boxed cherry chip mix lately so I decided to make my own.
Cake mix – You can use white or yellow box cake mix. White cake mix will give you a pinker color cake.
Maraschino cherries – These will be chopped up and used in the batter and also the juice will be used for the cake and frosting.
Sour cream – Used to add moisture to the cake.
Eggs – Use 4 eggs for this recipe. Along with the sour cream, it helps make the cake mix taste more like from scratch.
Vegetable oil – You can substitute with canola oil.
Almond extract – This really gives you that cherry chip flavor but feel free to substitute with vanilla extract.
Butter – Unsalted, sweet cream butter.
Powdered sugar – Used for the simple cherry frosting.
How to make cherry chip cake
- Batter: Use an electric mixer and blend together vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, cherry juice, and almond extract. Blend in cake mix until combined. Fold in chopped cherries.
- Bake: Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Frosting: Mix together softened butter, salt, cherry juice and powdered sugar until frosting is made. Spread over cooled cake and top with extra cherries. ***Tip: If your frosting is too thick, add an extra teaspoon of cherry juice, if too thin, add 3-4 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- I recommend buying 2 jars of cherries so that you have enough to decorate the top of the cake.
- Add a chocolate twist by adding 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to the batter. Toss the mini chocolate chips in with a tablespoon of cake mix before adding to batter to help prevent sinking.
- Make sure to let the cake completely cool before frosting. If you try to spread it on while warm, the frosting will melt.
- Make sure that butter is softened to make the frosting and if you would like an extra pink color frosting, add 1-2 drops of red food coloring.
How to store
Store: Cover the cake pan with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze: To freeze, place the cake in the freezer for an hour. Remove and wrap with plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze for 2-3 months. When ready to easy, remove from freezer and let thaw at room temperature.
More easy cake recipes
- Chocolate chip bundt cake – Rich, chocolate cake with mini chocolate chips.
- Chocolate sheet cake – An easy chocolate cake with fudgy frosting.
- JELL-O cake – Colorful JELL-O brings moisture to this tasty cake.
- Butterfinger cake – Yellow cake topped with frosting and Butterfinger candy.
- Pineapple cake – A wonderful summer dessert.
If you made this cake recipe please feel free to leave a comment below.
Cherry Chip Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon almond oil
- 20 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, combine eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream, cherry juice and almond extract.
- Blend in cake mixture until combined. Stir in chopped cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool.
- Mix together softened butter, cherry juice, salt and powdered sugar.
- Once cake has cooled, spread frosting on top, slice and serve.
Can this recipe be used to make cupcakes?
Yes you can use it for cupcakes.
Made this cake for my wife and both mother in laws. Turned out perfect it was a big hit, than you for sharing.
Thank you so much for this copycat recipe. I was craving cherry chip cake and couldn’t find the mix anywhere in my area. My sister and I both thought it tasted just like the boxed mix from our childhood (in the best way)! The sour cream and chopped maraschino cherries take it up a notch from the original.