This copycat Taco Bell Bean Burrito recipe will have you skipping the drive-thru. Make your own meatless bean burrito at home in a matter of minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
Taco Bell is a favorite at our house and we love to recreate some of the most popular menu items like their chicken quesadilla, quesadilla sauce, nacho cheese sauce, cheesy roll-ups, and gordita crunch.
This Taco Bell inspired bean burrito is easy to make with just a few ingredients you might already have at home.
Refried beans – You can use a can of refried beans or homemade refried beans. The amount will depend on how many burritos you would like to make. Check out how to make canned refried beans taste like a restaurant.
Onion – Onions can be optional but I think they add nice flavor. Be sure to dice them up small. Use yellow onion, sweet onion, or even a red onion if you like.
Cheese – Taco Bell uses cheddar cheese.
Red sauce – Use your favorite red taco sauce brand or make your own taco sauce.
Tortillas – Plain flour tortillas are used for this recipe. I like using the burrito size tortillas but you can also use fajita size. You will want to make sure they are warmed up before assembling. This makes it easier to roll.
How to make copycat Taco Bell bean burritos
Step one: Start by warming the refried beans. Warm refried beans by heating them in a small saucepan on the stove or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave.
Step two: Warm tortillas by placing one on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15 seconds. If you would like to warm them all at once, wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Step three: Place tortilla on a plate. Spoon warmed refried beans down the center of the tortilla. Add finely diced onion.
Step four: Add shredded cheese and finish with your favorite taco sauce.
- Dice the onion really small. You don’t want to have big chunks of raw onion.
- If you like your beans a little thinner, add 1/4 cup of water, milk, or sour cream to the beans while they are heating.
The great thing about making copycat recipes at home is that you can adjust to your taste. Here are a few variations you can try with this base recipe:
Beans – Instead of using refried beans, substitute with warmed black beans or pinto beans.
Cheese – Substitute your favorite cheese like a Mexican blend cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or shredded pepper jack cheese.
Veggies – Try adding in some shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, or pico de gallo.
Rice – Add white rice, brown rice, cilantro, rice, even Mexican rice to add a little bulk to your burrito.
Other – Add sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, or extra red sauce for a burrito supreme.
How to store
Store: These burritos can be stored in the refrigerator. Wrap them in foil or place in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. Reheat on a microwave safe plate in the microwave.
Freeze: You can also freeze these burritos for up to 3 months. Wrap tight in foil and then place in a freezer safe bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then warm in the oven at 350 degrees.
Did you make this great meatless burrito recipe? Be sure to comment below.
More copycat recipes
Copycat Taco Bell Bean Burrito
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup red sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Start by warming the refried beans. Warm refried beans by heating them in a small saucepan on the stove or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave.
- Warm tortillas by placing one on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15 seconds. If you would like to warm them all at once, wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Place tortilla on a plate. Spoon warmed refried beans down the center of the tortilla. Add finely diced onion.
- Add shredded cheese and finish with your favorite taco sauce.