The Best Sourdough French Toast Recipe
Feb 01, 2022, Updated May 22, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the BEST sourdough French toast. It’s beautifully browned on the outside and tender on the inside. Learn how to make this delicious French toast for a great breakfast or brunch.
This is the Best Sourdough French Toast Recipe
Sourdough French toast is the perfect way to start off a weekend morning. The smell of warm cinnamon and vanilla filling the kitchen always gets everyone around the breakfast table.
Serve with a side of turkey bacon, and fruit for a delicious breakfast or brunch.
Is sourdough good for French toast?
Sourdough bread is great to use for French toast because because it adds a layer of light, tangy flavor and has a wonderful crust. It’s also sturdy making it perfect for soaking up the egg mixture.
Sourdough Bread French Toast ingredients
This French toast recipe needs just a few simple ingredients.
Sourdough bread – This recipe works best with 2-3 day old stale sourdough bread.
Eggs – Used to soak the bread.
Milk – Use whatever milk you have on hand. It also works well with half and half or cream for a richer taste.
Cinnamon – Used in the batter and to top the French toast.
Vanilla – Adds a hint of sweetness.
How to make sourdough French toast
Step one: Preheat skillet or griddle on medium-low. Mix together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Slice bread into 1-inch pieces.
Step two: Dip bread slices into egg mixture. Let it soak up the mixture for a minute.
Step three: Brush butter on skillet or griddle. Place soaked bread on skillet. Sprinkle the top of each piece with a little extra cinnamon.
Step four: Cook for 3-4 minutes and then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
Sourdough French Toast Recipe tips and variations
- Slice bread about 1-inch thick. Thick slices of bread help prevent the toast from falling apart.
- To get the best results use bread that is 2-3 days old. The stale sourdough allows it to soak up the egg mixture without it falling apart.
- If you are making this for a crowd, keep the French toast warm in the oven until ready to serve. Heat oven to 200 degrees F. Place the cooked French toast in a single layer on a baking sheet and keep in the warm oven until ready.
- Variations – Add in a pinch of nutmeg to the batter for extra spice. If you like yours a little sweeter, add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar or sugar to the batter mixture.
How to store French Toast (Sourdough)
Store: Make sure to let the French toast cool before storing. Keep any leftovers in an airtight container or zip bag in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Freeze: Place French toast slices in a freezer bag making sure to remove any extra air in the bag. It will stay good for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Reheat leftover French toast in a toaster oven, in the air fryer at 350 degrees for about 2 minutes, or the oven at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Serving Sourdough French Toast
Best toppings for French toast
Keep it classic and serve sourdough french toast with a little pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup or add a few extra toppings like:
- Fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or sliced bananas
- Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, even white chocolate chips
- Sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar
- Sprinkle of powdered sugar
- Chocolate-hazelnut spread
- Whipped cream
French Toast Recipe Sourdough FAQs
It depends on how thick your bread has been cut. You can soak French toast in the custard mixture for about 15 seconds. Be careful not to leave it in too long or the bread won’t hold it’s shape.
The secret to making sure your French toast isn’t soggy in the middle is cooking it on lower heat. Cook on medium-low heat. It might take a few minutes but it’s worth it for the perfect piece of French toast.
Many different breads work well for French toast. Sourdough is wonderful because it’s hearty and flavorful. Brioche, white bread, and even wheat bread also work well.
More easy breakfast recipes
- Oven turkey bacon
- Mini cinnamon rolls
- Bisquick waffles
- Fried eggs in air fryer
- Instant pot French toast casserole
Sourdough Bread French Toast
- 8 pieces sourdough bread
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat skillet or griddle on medium-low. Mix together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Slice bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Dip bread into egg mixture. Let it soak up the mixture for a minute.
- Brush butter on skillet or griddle. Place soaked bread on skillet. Sprinkle the top of each piece with a little extra cinnamon.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and then flip and cook another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.