Keto Egg Bowl
Jan 23, 2020, Updated Mar 06, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Keto Egg Bowl or Keto Breakfast Bowls can be made ahead of time for an easy, on the go meal. This recipe is a great base and can be personalized with your favorite toppings.
Being a mom of three I am always looking for anything that will make my life a little easier. That is why I have fallen in love with meal planning and prepping. We have been trying to eat fewer carbs so things like this breakfast bowl and this Keto Snack Box have helped keep us on track.
What is the Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet focuses on eating fats, protein and almost no carbohydrates, very similar to a low-carb diet. The goal is for your body to be in a metabolic state called ketosis.
Heavy Cream – You can also use half and half or milk. This adds a little extra fat to the meal and also helps to get fluffy eggs. Feel free to omit all together.
Sausage – I used breakfast sausage but ground Italian sausage would also work nice.
Mushrooms – I like using the baby bella mushrooms.
Spinach – Could replace with kale.
Cheese – Feel free to use your favorite. I like shredded cheddar or colby and monterey jack.
How to make
1. Start with cooking sausage in a large skillet. Add in chopped mushrooms and spinach and cook until they soften.
2. In a separate skillet, heat butter and scramble egg and cream mixture.
3. Mix the eggs and sausage together and then top with cheese.
4. Serve or separate into meal containers.
There are many ingredients that can be added to these bowls. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Bacon – You can substitute the bacon for sausage or just add on top.
- Avocado – This is a great this to include for added fat.
- Diced Tomatoes, Salsa or Hot Sauce– Tomatoes are actually pretty low in carbs at 2.4 grams per half cup.
- Onions and or Bell Peppers – These are great vegetables to include. They do have about 3 grams of carbs.
- Sour Cream – Sometimes I like to top mine with a dollop of sour cream.
On the go
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make extra to use for meals throughout the week. I find that if I have meals and snacks prepared ahead of time, I tend to be less stressed and eat better.
Also, ANYONE can enjoy this breakfast bowl! If you want a few carbs, serve with toast or use it as a filling for a breakfast burrito.
- If you are making for meal prep I would recommend doubling the recipe to give you 3-4 mornings of meals.
- This meal will keep for about 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- I love using these meal prep containers.
More low-carb recipes
***If you made this recipe, please be sure to give it a star rating below.
Keto Egg Bowl
- 8 eggs
- 1 12 oz roll breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded colby and monterey jack cheese or cheese of choice
- Cook and crumble sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced mushrooms and spinach to the skillet and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate skillet, melt butter. Add egg mixture and scramble eggs until fluffy.
- Stir in cooked eggs with sausage mixture.
- Stir in shredded cheese.
- Serve or separate into meal containers.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.