Creamy, delicious pink pasta sauce recipe is simple to make for an easy dinner. The perfect blend of cream and tomato sauce, served on top of your favorite pasta.
A big bowl of pasta always makes for a tasty meal. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
Why this creamy tomato pasta sauce works
- Easy recipe – You only need a few simple ingredients to make this dish.
- Fast – This meal can be made in about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Full meal – Make this a complete meal with the addition of a protein or vegetables.
What is pink sauce?
Pink pasta sauce is simply a tomato cream sauce. It can also be referred to as blush sauce or Penne Rosa, the combination of red tomatoes and cream give it a beautiful pink color.
Crushed tomatoes – Canned crushed tomatoes work well for this sauce. You could also substitute with your favorite marinara sauce.
White wine – Use a dry white wine or substitute with chicken broth.
Garlic – Minced garlic adds delicious flavor to the sauce.
Half and Half – I like using half and half but heavy cream can also be used for a richer flavor.
Italian seasoning – Use your favorite dried Italian seasoning blend.
Salt and ground black pepper
Olive oil – Used to cook and soften the garlic.
Cheese – This is optional but I like adding some shredded Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
Pasta – This sauce works well with many different pastas like penne, angel hair, spaghetti, fettuccini, gluten-free pasta, ravioli and more.
How to make pink pasta sauce
Step one: Start by cooking the pasta according to package directions.
Step two: Warm skillet over medium heat. Pour in olive oil and then garlic. Cook the garlic for a minute.
Step three: Pour in crushed tomatoes, Italian seasonings, and wine (or broth). Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Step four: Reduce the heat to medium-low. Pour in half and half and stir.
Step five: Pour cooked and drained past into the sauce and stir to coat.
Step six: Serve with warm. Optional, sprinkle with Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
Recipe tips and variations
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Be sure not to over cook the pasta so that it can absorb the sauce.
- Don’t add oil to the pasta water. This will create a barrier on the pasta not letting it absorb the sauce.
- Add salt to the pasta water.
- Like fresh herbs? Top with some chopped fresh basil or parsley.
- Want to add a little bit of heat? Stir in 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes into the sauce.
How to store leftovers
You can store the pasta sauce separate from the pasta or mixed together. Let completely cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This sauce will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat, place it back in a skillet and warm over medium heat until heated through.
How to serve pink pasta sauce
Serve this pink pasta sauce meal with a side of garlic bread and salad.
Try adding some protein with meatballs, crumbled Italian sausage, chicken, or even shrimp.
Add some veggies like steamed or roasted broccoli, peas, spinach, or cauliflower.
More pasta recipes
- Buffalo chicken pasta casserole – Creamy baked pasta dish with chicken and buffalo sauce.
- Baked Mostaccioli – A hearty meal of cheese, sausage, and mostaccioli pasta.
- Buttered noodles – Super simple side dish of buttered egg noodles.
Did you try this pasta dish? Let me know in the comments below.
Pink Pasta Sauce
- penne pasta or pasta of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepepr
- 1/2 cup white wine or substitute with chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- shredded or grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions.
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, and wine (or broth). Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in half and half and stir. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to the skillet. Toss to coat the pasta.
- Serve warm. Optional garnish with shredded or grated cheese.